Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever noticed GM products as they approach you? Lots of them only have one running light on, especially pickups. Do they engineer them that way? Other makes don't seem to have this problem.

·
Premium Member
13,558 Posts
Funny you should mention this. I've been noticing non-working running lights, as well as tail lights all over the place, on the street and on tv also. Not confined to one brand either. I watch 'Pass Time' on the Speed channel, seems like every other car has one or more light out. Today on the BJ auction the topic was addressed also. On the highway it becomes distracting, as I want to relax and just drive, only to find myself noting over and over how many running lights are not lit.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Unfortunately GM dropped the ball on the driving lamp socket on their full sized pickups. It can't carry the load over an extended period of time. When I replace the bulbs the sockets are always burned.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coming back home today on a 60 mile stretch of road, counted 8 vehicles with only one running light. All Government Motors, 5 were pickups and 3 were cars. No other make had one light.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
The original running lights on my 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser are still working fine so it can be done. I, too, have noticed many GM pickups with a running light out...built in obsolescence.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes the GM sockets are not made of the right material to have daytime running lights on most of the time. The sockets get brittle and burned all the time.

As for the race track, they do that on purpose. They are required to have lights at night, but only one front and one rear, so that's what they do. I guess it's a weight saving, power saving kind of thing.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The daytime running lights and sockets on my 01 Silverado with 140,000 work just fine Ive only replaced one of them in the 12 years Ive owned, it the other one is still the original bulb, and I wouldnt trade it for all the Toyotas in the world

·
Registered
575 Posts
During the July 4th week I was behind a cop in Joplin, MO that had a tail light burned out. I was going to get up beside his vehicle to let him know, but traffic didn't permit. Ted

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
The original running lights on my 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser are still working fine so it can be done. I, too, have noticed many GM pickups with a running light out...built in obsolescence.
My wife bought a 3 year old 2003 Nissan Maxima built in late 2012. We put a lot of miles on our cars and run with low beam headamps on during the day so other drivers can see us. To date, I have had to replace only one bulb on this car...... A low beam Xenon D2R 35w HID headlamp bulb about a year ago. Xenon bulbs are kinda pricey, but based on past performance, it will probably last the remaining life of the car.

Regarding my Canadian built '57 Chevy...... Though I have plans to do so in the future, I have not upgraded the bulbs nor anything else on the car as yet. Still has the original style sealed beam headlamps with their yellowish glow. Have never had a bulb burn out and the original tube type radio and single dash mounted speaker work just fine, as well. Not bad for a 56 year old car. Too bad GM doesn't make them like they used to.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
The daytime running lights and sockets on my 01 Silverado with 140,000 work just fine Ive only replaced one of them in the 12 years Ive owned, it the other one is still the original bulb, and I wouldnt trade it for all the Toyotas in the world
Ditto! except I've never had to replace a light...yet on my '01 Silverado w/124,700mi.

now that I've said it ol' Murphy will probably catch up with me:sign0020:

·
Registered
5,586 Posts

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
My 03 Tahoe has been out for the last 25,ooo miles

1 - 20 of 23 Posts