Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

My headers fit around the motor mounts, steering etc in my 55 but they sit far too low and are only a few inches off the ground!. Is there any way to cut the headers at a point and remove a few inches of each tube to shorten them?

I had a **** of a time finding ones to fit and really dont want to start that all over.... but also dont know if this is feasible project?

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
It's doable, but if you thought finding them, and installing them the first time was hard, your in for a real challenge. I'd ask around, to see what others have used in ground clearance issues.:anim_25:

·
Registered
749 Posts
The only way that will work is how my guy did mine. He cut the collectors off and raised the bottom of the collector to the top two pipes and then rerouted the lower pipes to the top. Not something to tackle without a custom header builder. You'd be better off finding a set that will fit. jim

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
I would really consider replacing them with huggers. By the time you cut and have rewelded and re-routed.....whew. Gonna be a job and probably expensive.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks guys, thats what I thought, guess its back to the header hunt, thank god for this site. I will do some forum searches this lunch hour

1 - 5 of 5 Posts