Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started the installation of a rack and pinion on my 57 belair and the steering rod runs into the side of my manifold! I believe that headers are the only way to fix my problem.What headers are the best for a 350 with a4 speed and factory motor mounts?any ideas would be aprecated.

thanks gene

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
WE ran Hooker Headers with a 605 steering box with extra clearance. My guess is they would work with a rack also. Just to be sure you could check what headers folks like CCI and Danchuk off for a rack set up.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Welcome aboard Gene!
Patriot headers are popular with a lot of Tri Five guy's as are the Flaming river and CPP headers. I would suggest contacting the company that sold or manufactured your rack system. Maybe they can suggest a set of headers.
You may also consider an intermediate/steering shaft system made up of an upper and lower shaft and a support bearing between them for additional clearance. It simply splits the shaft into two pieces allowing the upper section to come straight off the column. Not at an angle like the single shaft. The upper shaft is then supported by a bearing. After the bearing is a needle joint connecting the lower shaft, at an angle, to the rack. This helps clear the #1 and #3 header tube on a small block. If that was too confusing I can try again. Check out Unisteer.com. They sell the intermediate shaft system with the support bearing. Good luck with your build. Happy Holiday's!

Tom (55fazzi)

·
Registered
258 Posts
WE ran Hooker Headers with a 605 steering box with extra clearance. My guess is they would work with a rack also. Just to be sure you could check what headers folks like CCI and Danchuk off for a rack set up.

Good luck
i also run hooker super comp headers with stock mounts. but i dont have power steering or a rack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts