Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will most of the 3/4 length headers work with the stock rear bellhousing mounts?

i had plans on running ram horn manifolds on my 55 as i have a complete new 57 dual exhaust system. but the more i think about it, i'd rather have a set of headers on it.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
The full length headers that will fit and work well on lowered cars are the ones that require removal of the frame mount for the stock bellhousing mounts.

Earle Williams, Dougs D353, and Hooker 2112 are the ones that require that.

The collector on a 3/4 length header does not reach the frame mount for the bellhousing mounts. That means it's up to you or your muffler shop to build a pipe off the header that either clears the frame mount or doesn't.

That doesn't mean there won't be other issues, but that's another discussion.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right now, with a long parts list of other things i need/want to get for my car, i just want to leave the engine/trans mounts as they are and work around them. working on a budget. :)

the car will have a 4" drop up front though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My car still has the front and bellhousing mounts and I have these old Sanderson cast iron exhaust manifold/shorty headers. They are very tight to the block and close to even a mini starter. I am looking forward to some full length headers and I think the money spent on even the Danchuck bolt in side motor mounts and a cheapie trans crossmember is money well spent.
Mine has a mechanical clutch four speed as well, and I looked around the header manufacturers websites and it seems like a lot of headers might not work with the clutch linkage either.
;
I'd say keep what you've got till you swap to side mounts.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I went with the Hookers, No clearance issues but....... Hang low, and with drop spindles got to go slow over the speed bumps. Havent dragged yet

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I'm running hooker's also and that looks just like mine do. I have the 2“ drop springs also and didn't remove the frame horns. I have around 3 1/2 inches of ground clearance.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am also interested in that Hooker header. What part number is that? Also, what diameter tube are you using? 1 5/8"was recommend to be as to not take the torque out of the motor (350-385hp) I wanted to use 1 3/4". Any thoughts? Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I am also interested in that Hooker header. What part number is that? Also, what diameter tube are you using? 1 5/8"was recommend to be as to not take the torque out of the motor (350-385hp) I wanted to use 1 3/4". Any thoughts? Thanks for the advice!
I believe that the part number is 2458 and I got the ceramic coated ones,

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
hedman, full-length, no sweat, 4-speed, original mounts. however, had to "dimple" 35, and i ground off, just a hair of the steering box.

·
Registered
1956 Chevy 210 Wagon 4dr
52 Posts
I got lucky with a set of like new Hooker full length headers at Turkey Rod Run for $90. Best fitting headers I ever owned on any chevy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts