Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Chevy Bel Air Post 350 sbc with turbo 400
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the car i purchased has headers on it but the tubes are tiny and they are a really PITA to deal with for changing plugs. What brand header out there is better for having access to the plugs? I'm going to swap exhaust out on the car so i might as well do something that makes life easier. What size pipes would you all recommend also? My goal is about 400hp for the car.

Current engine set up:

1. 350 chevy from a mid 70s 3/4 ton truck (4 bold main)
2. flat top pistons
3. 291 camel hump heads
4. 600 holley carb
5. cam in the car is not super lopey but has some lop to it.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
Take a look at the header fitment chart POP'S put together with others help on here,probably not 100% but should be very helpful.The Corvette 2.5" ram horns aren't a bad choice but if your trying to get to 400 hp with close to your current engine every little bit will help & likely you will need better heads to achieve your 400hp with a 350 inch motor. You might have to go to such a radial cam it won't be much fun to drive on the street.There is always compromise

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,432 Posts
So, the car i purchased has headers on it but the tubes are tiny and they are a really PITA to deal with for changing plugs.
Unless I'm missing something, tiny tubes are going to help, not hinder spark plug removal.

·
Registered
1956 Chevy Bel Air Post 350 sbc with turbo 400
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless I'm missing something, tiny tubes are going to help, not hinder spark plug removal.
agreed! Thankfully the tubes are not bigger or it would hit the back of the plug wire. i'm just looking for something that will work better clearance wise than what I have. I think i figured out what accel shorty plug i need. I'm going to swap my R45 plugs for those and hopefully that helps also.

I'd like to do headers vs. the ram horns

Where do i find the header fitment chart at?

·
Registered
507 Posts
agreed! Thankfully the tubes are not bigger or it would hit the back of the plug wire. i'm just looking for something that will work better clearance wise than what I have. I think i figured out what accel shorty plug i need. I'm going to swap my R45 plugs for those and hopefully that helps also.

I'd like to do headers vs. the ram horns

Where do i find the header fitment chart at?

Second topic down from the top.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,432 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think mine are 3/4 patriot headers. They don't hit the steering box and I think the plugs are easy to get at. I'm at work now but I'll try to get you more info and I know I have a pic somewhere. Jeff

·
Registered
912 Posts
jeff again, i got some info for you. i bought my headers from auto zone because i got a deal with all the discounts i had.
the part number is H8055-1, patriot headers
18 gauge
accommodates gm 605 power steering box
metallic ceramic coating
primary tube outside diameter is 1 5/8
collector diameter is 2 1/2
i like them they are called 3/4 mid length headers, they clear the box, standard steering linkage and my exhaust guy fitted the exhaust with no problem. as you can see you have plenty of room for plugs and wires.

Automotive design Font Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rectangle
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Gas
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior

1 - 11 of 11 Posts