Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I deleted the other thread and reposted it here.

I finally decided to do a V-8 conversion on the '56. The engine is a stock '73-'85 350 GM Goodwrench crate engine rated at 260 hp with headers and four barrel. It will be basically stock with an Edelbrock Performer intake / Performer 600 cfm carb, HEI and headers (maybe a Comp Cams 260H cam, i haven't decided yet). Tranny will be a turbo 350 with a mild shift kit. Exhaust is 2" with dual glass packs. It will be more of a cruiser than a hot rod.

I'm down to picking headers (using the stock steering box) and torque converter. Since the wife works for NAPA i can get a stock converter for real cheap. But i'm thinking maybe i want a little higher stall speed. What converter are you guys running and how does it perform?

Since the car is lowered (2" but i'll be going down another inch) i don't want full length headers unless someone makes a full length header with good ground clearance. I still have nightmares about bent header flanges on my old slammed '71 Cheyenne. I'm thinking maybe shorties or 3/4 length headers. So what's a good header?

·
Registered
66,315 Posts
have 3/4 length patriot headers on my 55 (327 eng). like them alot. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More confusion. I talked to a tranny guy about rebuilding the powerglide in my T-Bucket and also asked about a turbo 350 for the '56. He suggested that since i'm building it as a simi daily/long distance cruiser why not go to a turbo 700R. Says he can set me up with everything i need, including carb linkage and the tail shaft for $1,500.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts