Votes: 254 69.6%
  • No, save youself the headache

Votes: 112 30.7%
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first question for you. My B-I-L is looking at installing a new exhaust system on his 56, but now we're stuck on the headers or no headers debate. My first response to him was no, stick to the ram horns, far less trouble. I am from the days when headers came in two options, one's with a small leak or ones with a big leak. (he's got a set of those on his 72 c10).

Are headers still a pain or are they much better now. The Patriot headers look like they have a beefier 3/8" flange but does that make them good? what should we look out for?

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Like you, I've had nothing but problems with headers, so I'll be the first to say go with ram horns. Go with the 2 1/2 corvette type and you will love them w/out the headaches of leaks and fit. If there's a header that fits and is problem free, let me know what it is!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
62 vette 2 1/2" rams horns are the way to go. You won't be sorry . Dorman sells them for cheap...... I went that route and I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
66,287 Posts
patriot 3/4 and luv them. :tu

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I voted for headers. That's always been one of the first things I do to my cars.
But I can understand the reasoning behind the rams horns too.
On the street, it probably won't make much difference other than sound.
Well, and looks when you open the hood.:D
Had I been smart, I'd have gotten 3/4 length headers.
I'm going to have to cut mine to get them up so they don't drag.:rolleyes:
If I screw them up...then I'll get some new 3/4 lengthers.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I've got Hooker Headers, block huggers on my 327 and about every other year I have to replace a burned out gasket... Maybe try some of those fancy Sanderson headers next time... Later, Dave

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
62 vette 2 1/2" rams horns are the way to go. You won't be sorry . Dorman sells them for cheap...... I went that route and I'm glad I did.
this works for me I have big and small block cars equipped both ways and for the most part its not if they leak it how much.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm running full length Hooker Super Comps on my 55. They've been on there now for 4 years. No problems with them but they do fit tight and I have to touch them up with header paint once in a while

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
The only way i would not do headers is if i where doing an all original restoration. Other than that use metal gaskets up top and at the collectors and lock washers with the bolts. And remember to go back and re tork after initial run time and you should be trouble free. That has always worked for me with several different brands of headers i have used.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've heard Patriot and Dougs headers. Anyone know for sure what will work with a 350/605 steering box? Will the starter get in the way? What do you have to spend to get decent headers? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone buy out there use the exhaust kits or do most hit the muffler shop? Any reccomendations on mufflers?:confused0006:

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
I understand your pain with headers, but I got a good tip years ago and honestly, have not had any problem since. When you install your headers, if you simply go back and re-torque the header bolts after the initial start up, after letting the engine come up to operating temperature, you shouldn't have those pesky leaks anymore, unless of course the header flange is already warped or something. If they're new headers, this should work. I'm running Hedman Headers with no problems after applying this simple post installation re-torquing technique. Oh, meant to say, if they are used, slightly warped and you continue to have problems, you can do what I've had success with in the past and that's simply to double the gasket, but if you do this, for sure, you've got to go back and re-torque the header bolts after the initial start up. Best of Luck to you, BDR

·
Registered
738 Posts
In my opinion, headers are like anything else = you get what you pay for. I've had cheap headers and there was always an issue. Bolts would get loose, gaskets failing, they didn't fit right...

If you spend money on good headers with thick flanges from a reputable company then you shouldn't have problems. Also, get good bolts that have some sort of lock, mine are safety wired.

Before you buy any headers put a post up on trifive - that's what everybody is here for, right? :)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
ram I am from the days when headers came in two options, one's with a small leak or ones with a big leak.

Are headers still a pain or are they much better now. The Patriot headers look like they have a beefier 3/8" flange but does that make them good? what should we look out for?
How about "0" leaks,,with ram horns or headers??.
http://www.remflex.com/
I pimp these alot on here,,well,,,because they work and it is one of the biggest problems with exhaust.

Lots of threads on here about exhaust and the headers stuff.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm running full length Hooker Super Comps on my 55. They've been on there now for 4 years. No problems with them but they do fit tight and I have to touch them up with header paint once in a while
Rich, I'm running the same headers that came on my '56 two years ago. All the paint was flaked off with an overall greyish brown patina...zero maintenance issues so far.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
933 Posts
...I got a good tip years ago and honestly, have not had any problem since. When you install your headers, if you simply go back and re-torque the header bolts after the initial start up, after letting the engine come up to operating temperature, you shouldn't have those pesky leaks anymore...
That's what i've always done on mine. The only thing i can add is use a good quality header gasket.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts