• Yes, it's the only way to go

Votes: 254 69.6%
  • No, save youself the headache

Votes: 112 30.7%
121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Absolutely, a friend of mine who is into 55s, recommend patriot 3/4 length headers , put on my 56 , love it, went on so easy , then got h pipe ,2 1/2 duals with original flow masters , amazing sound n many compliments

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Nad, What do you have against cast iron?
I reread my statement, and didn't really intend to sound SO negative. I'm just a hotrod guy, and headers are about the first thing any hotrod motor of mine gets. I really wouldn't want headers on a regular daily car of mine though. There's a very strong line between a daily and a garage beast at my house.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,412 Posts
Over 6 years ...

and this thread is still going. I refuse to vote since it doesn't mention what kind of upgrades if any the motor has and how it is used.
I think I saw a recent post about going through header gaskets. My very strong opinion is to run from the aluminum, carbon, aluminum sandwich gaskets.
Use these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-5912
with the grey rtv type sealant on both sides. Install and just snug them up, after 12 to 24 hours tighten them. Or you could probably just use the sealant, it's good stuff (the name may say it's for imports).

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
I also run the Sanderson headers, I never looked back. Very well made, fit well, ceramic coated inside and out for heat control, and does everything a header is supposed to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know of any headers that would fit a 55 with a 327 with stock steering and a manual column shift?

I was about to pull the trigger on some Patriots 8055 but they told me they don't work with manual column shifter, and they don't make any that do.

I was also entertaining the idea of smoothie ram horns but a those even say "Will not clear original-location steering boxes in 1935-1940 Fords or 1955-1957 Chevy cars." Any ram horn fitment issues was surprising to me after so many here putting them on for an easy install.

About to just find some generic SBC huggers but I was still worried about clearance.

Anyone out there with 3 on the tree?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Headers VS Manifolds

I'm running the Hedman Headers, no leaks so far. Getting to one or two of the plugs is a little tight. I also used heat insulation on the plug end of the wires.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Headers

Hi I like ram horns
I have ram horns on my 55 since is lowered

I like the look and no leaks
I use hi temp copper permatex for good measure
It all depends on the application of the car.:flag6::anim_25:

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,428 Posts
It all depends on type of engine, mounts etc. Generally headers generate a lot more heat than cast iron rams horn

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have headers on my 355 sb with side mounts . The headers are coated with JetHot coatings inside and out and i love them. I got them at Southern HotRods. They are made especially for trifive cars.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
To header or not to header...

Hello:

My dad bought my 57 chevy new, and in 1977, I installed, at the time, Blackjack Headers. Now, I am going to be refurbishing my car once more, this time, a 350 engine, a more thorough mechanical restoration.

I went thru the thought process of headers or not this time. Full length headers give the benefit of scavenging the exhaust pipe for unspent fuel, and retaking it into the combustion chambers thru some sort of vacuum dynamic that happens in the exhaust.

I will be going with the "shorty headers", which are kinda a compromise between full length headers and exhaust manifolds. The collectors are much closer to the exhaust ports, making life a lot easier for spark plug changes, clearance issues, and the like. Basically, for me, it wasn't fun doing spark plug canges 30 years ago, as well as some clearance issues I had, ground clearance and OEM power steering pump clearance.

"Shorty headers" will definitely not be as efficient in scavenging unspent fuel, but they will sound much like full length headers, and, they won't stay hot like cast iron manifolds do for 12 hours after you turn off the car, LOL.....

Hope this helps rather than muddies the water, but, as I see it, there are three options, manifolds, full length headers, and "shorty headers".

Pasting a picture as an attachment of shorties.....

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm running the Hedman Headers, no leaks so far. Getting to one or two of the plugs is a little tight. I also used heat insulation on the plug end of the wires.
Try NGK spark plugs they are shorter and will give you the clearance you need so you will not burn you're plug wires.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
On a street daily driver I like cast iron exhaust manifolds. I reciently installed a 454 in my 71 truck to replace the 402. and I retained the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds. and I do have a set of hedders that will fit. Hedders tend to leak. and I have began to prefer really quiet mufflers.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,260 Posts
I'm with Lone Wolf on this; I don't think I will ever buy another set of headers as I'm past wanting to 'drag race'... :) and my old ears appreciate the lower tone (and no leaks) of the cast iron manifolds...

·
Registered
253 Posts
refurbishing to use shorty's

In about 1977, I had put Blackjack headers on the 57 Chevy I still have. They were full length, always a pain to change spark plugs. I am redoing my Chevy with a 350 engine, and will be using stainless steel shorty's I purchased from Jeg's. I like the sound of a mildly souped V8 with headers, so I figured that the shorty's will be a compromise between exhaust manifolds and full length headers. Full length gives you better scavenging of unburnt fuel being recycled back into the combustion chamber, but there is a price to pay for full length headers, they might scrape on driveways, obstruction issues, etc. SO, time for a change for me, not trying to get full bang for the buck this time (-: Good Luck. Attached a picture of "shorty" headers. Shorty is not a brand, it is a style...

Attachments

121 - 140 of 154 Posts