Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey to all,
luv the site, so i may as well start off with a problem i am having.
just took the 265 out of my 55 i am going back with a 283 problem is i have stock stearing and the 283 has late modle heads, so i cannot find a set of headers to fit has anyone out there came across this prob, besides me:confused:

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Depends on the motor and how many horses it is making. If it is pretty mild I would consider a set of rams horns manifolds. You can get 2 1/2 inch rams horns and they move a lot of exhaust. On my 55 I used 87 Corvette factory headers and had them ceramic coated. My engine is basicly stock 350 from the same Vette with tunedport injection. You could also use some of the block hugger headers that are out there. Several options really. How do you see th eheads causing a problem? They are basicly the same as the 265 heads in configuration.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi 55stlalive (insert name)
Have you tried Block Hugger Headers? Most are the same as far as fit . But Sanderson makes a great set and (HUG) tight to the block. Also Mike made a point with HP rating, so ram horns should not affect the performance . We see lots of BIG horse power come threw our shop and most "even blown " will work nicely off a hugger header. Rule of thumb is Under chassis headers are for full throttle at the track so the are designed for high rpm were huggers are a great street header and work in the perimeter of most lower rpm performance. so if you are going to run at 6500 full out most of the time:eek:
Then you need under chassis , if you are going to run quick *flecks your muscle* burts of rpm than Ram horns or Block hugger is just the ticket. ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hedders should be no problem at all. If you are running the stock steering most companies make a set that fit. As far as late model heads--small block heads are the same. I have run 283's to 350's in my tri-fives with no problem.
My 55 has 283 with stock steering and uses Headman hedders and my nomad uses the block hugger with 605 steering.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Hello 55

In the past we used hooker headers with a 605 steering box. In fact I had them bolted to a 283 in my 55 at one time. I think we have a set hanging in the shop. If you need any more info let me know

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hedders

thanks for the info guys, i got a set of flo teck hedders the other day the guy at the speed shop said they were made by holley. I tried to put them on and they would not go between the head and the stock steering box:( as i said before, the engine is a mild rebuilt 283 from a 66 nova, the passenger hedder is not a prob, just the drivers side:mad: when i put the hedder up against the engine the back of it is on the steering box. these are block huggers, so i put my old manifolds back on,do any of you realize how awful stock manifolds look on a chromed engine:mad: :mad: :anyway i am not giving up:eek: yet. close but not yet!!! gotta get this car running cause its almost time to go crusin!!!!:D :D :D :cool: :cool:

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
I haven't put a set on in awhile, but it may be that raising the engine a little would let them go in? Sometimes once the header is in place the tubes go on either side of things like steering boxes, control arms etc..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts