Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading down to Summit Racing this weekend to get the rest of the stuff we need to put our 406 together for the race car.

We're heading out Saturday around noon-ish, shopping, then spending the night in Ohio. We'll be heading home around noon Sunday.

And if anyone is interested...

I should have my APRS system working. (long story, involves HAM radio stuff). This means you will be able to track me as I drive. The following link will display my last known position on the APRS server. The map is not auto updating, so you will need to refresh your screen in order to see my position change. The map is zoomable in and out as well.

Click HERE to find Don!

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Guys
Hey this is cool Ive been tracking Don (eye in the sky) :eek: most of the afternoon and the latest is at 2:56 pm he is do south on 79 heading for Akron.
So his APRS is working well the only thing Ive noticed is he is a bit over the speed limit. :cool: Should we tell :confused: naa he is in a hurry to pick up his race car parts .:D and that to me is a great excuse as any . :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, we made it to the Hotel room around 4:30 or so.

(FREE High Speed internet connection here, good thing I brought my laptop with me...)

It seems the last beacon was heard almost 2 hours before we reached our destination. There must not be a digipeater close enough to hear me this far down the state.

Anyways, trip was uneventful, hopefully the return trip will be an easy ride as well. I will check in a bit later...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That trick icon is what I chose when I setup the software that runs the tracking interface. It's kinda neat, really.

You need 3 things to run APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System)

(Click the links to see the photos of my radio equipment that I used on this trip)
- Ham radio tranceiver (and a licence to operate it)
- GPS reciever
- TNC device - In my case a TinyTrack3

The GPS finds my location in lattitude/longitude. It sends this information to the TinyTrack3 device. The TinyTrack has parameters that I define and program into it with my computer at home. Details such as my amateur radio operators callsign, the timing of the beacons, the icon it displays, and a short text note that I can edit.

Once the Tiny Track has all the info it needs, it compresses the data into a tone burst. Dial-up internet users know this sound, it's the squeal/squawk/beep/buzz that your modem makes when you connect to the internet.

The Tiny Track then automatically makes my ham radio transmit this info on a frequency of 144.390 mHz to any recieving station in the area (called a digipeater)

The digipeater decompresses/decodes the data, and sends it to a server on the internet. That's how you can go to a web link and find out where my last known location was.

The operation of this system relies on being able to reach a recieving station (digipeater). The A.P.R.S. is becoming more popular, so more and more digipeaters are popping up all over both of our countries.

This system is used by more than just some ham radio operators. Many different agencies use this type of tracking for mobile monitoring. It is especially good for search and rescue operations.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As you know, we headed down to Summit this weekend to pick up a bunch more parts for the race car. $1900 poorer, we headed back home...

These are a bunch of odds and ends we need to basically get the engine ready to run. We will be making another run down to Ohio before the racing season opens in April.

Now for the pics of the goodies... ;)

- Summit dual tunnel ram kit with two Holley 450's
- GM Performance Parts die cast valve covers
- Summit crankcase breathers
- Summit water filler neck
- Comp Cams solid roller lifters
- Powermaster crank pulley
- Pro-form valve cover retainers

- Hamburger 7qt oil pan w/pickup, door baffles and crank scraper
- TCI Flexplate sheild
- TCI powerglide case sheild
- TCI HD flexplate

We also picked up a bunch more parts that fill two shopping bags. Small stuff like -AN fittings, ARP fasteners for just about every component, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts