Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I going to run into any problems upgrading the lighting system on my '57? I would like to replace the sealed beam headlight with up to date halogens. I also would like to go with LED's for the park/brake/tail lights, and also maybe the dash lights.

I have heard that the halogen headlights tend to run at a little higher amperage, but I have also heard that they run on less and are more efficient. I don't know which information is correct.

As far as the LED's in the park and tail, should I just buy the replacement bulbs? Or am I better off going with the whole LED assemblies like I see in the Ecklers catalog?

The electrical system has already been upgraded to an alternator.

·
12,256 Posts
The halogen headlights will draw more current, so I would add a relay. The stock 20 gauge wiring is really too small, even for the stock headlights, by today's standards.

As far as the LED park and tail lights, I would just go with the bulbs. Not sure what you mean by "whole assemblies". One thing is that since they draw such low current, you will probably have to add an electronic flasher.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I don't know about all LED bulbs, but the ones I tried were a lot dimmer than the 1157 bulbs. I believe the assemblies are brighter and there are several manufactures of the assemblies with different numbers of LED's. And, yes, you will need an electronic flasher, especially for front and back LED's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.K. guys.... sorry I didn't do a search before I posted my question.

After reading several of the previous threads along with some other material, it is apparent I need to wire in a relay (and, most important, I understand why) in order to convert to Halogens.

What I can't find, however, is a simple wiring diagram. I'm not great with wiring but if I had a diagram I'm sure I could manage. Also, I'm unsure as to what kind of relay to get.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,763 Posts
From a previous thread: I'm running the halogen bulbs you get at Walmart in the yellow box. They a lot brighter then a stock bulb that came in a '55/56/57 Chevy. Plus they're a direct replacement. No adding wires, relays, nothing.

I can tell you. These bulbs are a LOT brighter when powered by an alternator versus a generator.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,494 Posts
I too am running the replacement halogens like Pops. I got some of the led bulbs and they sucked .couldn't hardly see them in day light and not much better at night . I went back to 1157 and 1157a bulbs and am very happy .:bowtier::)

·
52,763 Posts
HRD....Tryed the LED bulbs as well....They allowed my third brake light to come on with the normal tail lights due to back feed current......Went back to 1157's, no problem......So, I'm using the 1157's and a third brake light in the rear.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Technostalgia leds in ft and rear, including their replacement red leds for the backup lites.
brake lites flash 3 times then go steady red.
Good guys to deal with!

·
52,763 Posts
7" round sealed beam

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Am I going to run into any problems upgrading the lighting system on my '57? I would like to replace the sealed beam headlight with up to date halogens. I also would like to go with LED's for the park/brake/tail lights, and also maybe the dash lights.

I have heard that the halogen headlights tend to run at a little higher amperage, but I have also heard that they run on less and are more efficient. I don't know which information is correct.

As far as the LED's in the park and tail, should I just buy the replacement bulbs? Or am I better off going with the whole LED assemblies like I see in the Ecklers catalog?

The electrical system has already been upgraded to an alternator.

Three of my '57s now have halogen headlights. No added relays, no added wiring. Just a plug & play using headlight bulbs Wal-mart sells. (the yellow boxes by the way. cause they're brighter versus the other bulbs they sell)

Two of my '57s have the plug in LED taillight lenses. No problem with them working.

Only issue I ran in to was installling LED front turn/park in the grille bar. The car now needs a no-load flasher to replace the stock '57 flashed under the dash.

PS. the halogen headlights run brighter if powered by an alternator versus a generator. I guess cause the alt charges at a lower RPM versus the generator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts