Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

headlight switch

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  auggie56 
#1 ·
I just finished wiring up my 57 headlights taillights and directionals. Can anyone tell me when you have the headlight switch pulled out to the first click what is supposed to be on and also with the headlight switch pulled all the way out? Just making sure mine is correct.

#2 ·
First click you should have park lights in front and taillights/license plate lights in rear.

Second click you should have headlights only no park lights in front, rear should be the same as one click.

Having the auxiliary lights on with the headlights on came long after 55-57s were built. If you want them on, a jumper wire on the switch can take care of it.

#6 ·
Sounds like the dark green and yellow wires are reversed.
Here is a drawing of the PLUG from the wiring diagram. It is showing the female terminal side of the PLUG, not the wiring side. When you turn the plug over to put it on the switch, the wires will be on the opposite side from the picture.

#8 ·
How about a picture of the Halo's. Are they like the "angel eyes" on BMW's?

#13 ·
I would like to be able to have my parking lights on with my headlights; operating on the first position of the switch. Can anyone clarify how to jump the terminals because everything I have tried doesn't come up with a workable solution. I have also heard that there is an updated switch on the market but I haven't been able to find it so if anyone knows what company and part number that would be awesome.

#15 ·
Thank you; in the first switch position I now have front parking, tail lights and license plate lights on and in the second switch position I now have front parking lights, tail lights, and headlights. By creating a common terminal for the parking lights and tail lights and also adding a diode (which only allows the electricity to flow one direction) between the headlight terminal and the parking/tail terminal the switch is updated. The diode I used is an epoxy rectifier diode part purchased at radio shack for just a little over a dollar and easily installed into the base of the lug terminals in the switch in a matter of minutes. The part number is 276-1141. Thanks again for the help Don.

#17 ·
Actually, you do not need the diode, although it won't hurt either. :) There is no back circuit involved. The tail light terminal, parking light terminal and headlight terminal are completely independent of each other. In effect, it's a single throw, 3 pole switch. In the first position, the power is connected to the front park light terminal and to the tail light terminal. In the second position, the power is connected to the headlight and tail light terminal. When you connect the front park light wire to the tail light extra terminal, it doesn't affect the headlights. It's like connecting 2 more bulbs to the tail light circuit. The front park light terminal is no longer used.

#18 ·
Thanks Don, I don't have the same exact switch in my car so I had to add the diode. I have a 1960 corvette which has been a 26 year project due to kids, wife, and military life. It is not stock and has been so much fun to build, I've done all the work on it except the paint and it is now back on the road. It isn't a 55 but it is a Chevy of the same general era and I do appreciate the help on the headlight switch wiring solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.