Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlights in my '55 will start blinking on & off at random after about 15 - 20 minutes of night driving. If I turn off the switch for a bit then they will burn for a while longer before doing it again. It is only the headlights that are faulty. The headlight switch was replaced...no help. I replaced the halogens with the original type, but no help. I do have LED's in the tail-lights, but changed them out also...no help. Headlight harnesses are grounded up front. ????

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
MOJO.....Read through the following in the Shop Manual:http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1955/55csm1204.html

There is a short in the headlamp/parking lamp circuit causing the 13Amp thermal breaker to open and close.

Start by trying to isolate it to one head light or the other.....Then follow the connections back, disconnecting and testing, as you go to isolate the problem to a section.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,496 Posts
could be a bad dimmer switch

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Does it blink with either low or hi beams or only one of them?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does it on either low or high. I did just replace the dimmer switch today and found the tan and green wires were on the wrong terminals, if that makes any difference. Will test it later tonight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hwadlight Blinking

I also had the same problem, and I traced it to the plastic wirinng harness connector that comes through the firewall under the left hood hinge. If you pull that plug apart you'll find corrision (green color). Clean with Contact Cleaner and a wire brush. :anim_25:

·
Registered
918 Posts
i had the same to on my 55 i bought newer style headlight switch . the light keep going off and on the turn off .so if i wanted for a min then turn back on it would do the same thing. i also just install new headlight that i bought from the auto store. after install thats when it started. hope this helps

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Sometimes the circuit breaker on the back of the headlight switch loses its tension or you have fitted higher wattage bulbs that exceed the rating of the overload. You can fit a dual headlight relay that will take the load off your switches and at the same time improve the brightness of the lights by about
20%-30%

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Graham, I disconnected one headlight (sealed beams) while they were flickering, and it stopped on the other. Then I did the other side with same result. Too much load on the themal breaker?? Seems like the thermal breaker in the headlight switch is the problem. This is a new switch (from So-Cal in Phoenix) Is there a supplier that sells a good quality switch? If I put in a relay, is that something easily found at an auto parts store? Thanks. Mike

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
headlight switch

KIWI has the answer. Install a relay to take the load off the switch. It cannot overload if only supplying power to a relay. The relay takes the load and it is designed to do that.

I put 2 relays on my car, 1 for high beam and the other for low beam. Works like a champ. Have you noticed the factories today have finally figured this out after 50 years? Count the relays on any new car. Almost every circuit now has a relay to control it. Relays prevent wiring overload! Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine is actually doing the same thing. The lights will come on for about 30 seconds, then start to flash. It has a new headlight switch, dimmer switch, and two new halogen bulbs (h6024's). I am guessing it is something in the wiring, but could be wrong.

Steptoe, I understand about installing the relay, and it seems like a good idea, but isnt it just masking the problem? Surely these things didn't have this problem 5, 10, even 20 years after they left the factory? I guess what i want to know, is it better to just rewire the whole works or would the relays be all i need?

·
27,084 Posts
Mine is actually doing the same thing. The lights will come on for about 30 seconds, then start to flash. It has a new headlight switch, dimmer switch, and two new halogen bulbs (h6024's). I am guessing it is something in the wiring, but could be wrong.

Steptoe, I understand about installing the relay, and it seems like a good idea, but isnt it just masking the problem? Surely these things didn't have this problem 5, 10, even 20 years after they left the factory? I guess what i want to know, is it better to just rewire the whole works or would the relays be all i need?
I believe it's a combination of things.
#1. Many of the switches are made in China. No quality control of the thermal breakers current rating.
#2. Your using 65 watt instead of 50 watt bulbs.
#3. The original 20 gauge wire is too small and the connectors have oxidized over the past 50+ years, causeing increased resistance.

The original size wiring will be sufficient to operate the relays, if larger gauge wire is used to power the relays and from the relays to the lights.

·
Registered
55 Posts
After some goofing around, I am starting to think I have a bad headlight switch.
We ran new wires from the headlights straight to the dimmer bypassing the original plugs on the inner fenders, just to rule them out. Also ran a new blue wire from switch to dimmer. That is when I noticed something. If you turn on the lights and leave it on dim they will not flash, had them on for over a hour today with no problem, but as soon as you put the high beams on it will then flash, even when kicking back down to dim. Turn the switch off for 10 seconds or so, turn it back on dim, and she shines without a quip for over a half-hour, hit the high beams and then it starts again. I have replaced the dimmer twice now. What are your thoughts guys?

·
27,084 Posts
It has a new headlight switch, dimmer switch, and two new halogen bulbs (h6024's).
Your running 130 watts through a switch designed for 100 watts. You might change the switch a few times and maybe find one that will carry the load. All halogen lights are not the same wattage either.

·
Registered
918 Posts
i had the samething too after i installed a new wire harness and new headlights. the lights would flick off and on then turn off so i went to the auto store and bought a new headlight switch for a 1970 chevel .now things are great

·
Registered
10 Posts
Headlight Troubles

I just re-wired a 55 Bel Air Beauville wagon with (ugh) a Hot Rod wiring kit. (I'll get a Painless next time) I'm having the same 30-second-later flickering on the headlamps. Going to go chase wires down again. Hey POPS, you always give good solid advice. Should the headlight bucket be grounded with a separate wire, or does screwing it to the body ground the unit? PS, yes I put a new headlight switch in, too. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Headlamp Problems

I've installed a new wiring harness, with disconnects to the headlamp/parking lamp front wiring. The lights only flicker, then off, when it is set on high beam. Is this a bad dimmer switch? Does fine on low beam. Or, does the high beam draw more, causing the breaker on the light switch to turn the circuit off? NOT A GEARHEAD, but trying! LOL. Thanks, all.

·
12,256 Posts
I've installed a new wiring harness, with disconnects to the headlamp/parking lamp front wiring. The lights only flicker, then off, when it is set on high beam. Is this a bad dimmer switch? Does fine on low beam. Or, does the high beam draw more, causing the breaker on the light switch to turn the circuit off? NOT A GEARHEAD, but trying! LOL. Thanks, all.

Just jumper around the dimmer switch to find out. Or unplug one headlight and see if the other one works ok. Sounds like maybe the headlight switch to me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts