Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. The guy I purchased the car from wired it up. It has a new light switch. I know he wired it incorrectly and criss crossed the wires. I would like to turn on the headlights without having to turn on the car. Please advise. Thanks

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,020 Posts
Ok. The guy I purchased the car from wired it up. It has a new light switch. I know he wired it incorrectly and criss crossed the wires. I would like to turn on the headlights without having to turn on the car. Please advise. Thanks
Knowing what year model will help. All tri-5's don't have the same switches and wiring amoung othe differences.
The red wire on the ignition switch is probably on the wrong terminal. It should be on one of the "bat" terminals next to the black wire.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 1955 chevy wagon. A color picture of the light switch and the color of the wires would be helpful.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts

·
27,020 Posts
Its a 1955 chevy wagon. A color picture of the light switch and the color of the wires would be helpful.
The light switch is not likely the problem, the ignition switch provides constant power to the light switch, clock, dome light, ect.

Here is the light switch with labled color wires. .....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I will check the ignition switch and the headlight switch and see which wires are conneted wrong. Why would he have connected the lights to only turn on when the key is in acc mode? What sence does that make?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had that problem with my 578. The previous owner must have changed the Ignition switch and swapped the red an pink wires. Make sure the red is on with the battery wire.

·
27,020 Posts
Thanks. I will check the ignition switch and the headlight switch and see which wires are conneted wrong. Why would he have connected the lights to only turn on when the key is in acc mode? What sence does that make?
Probably didn't do it on purpose. :) Does the radio and heater shut off with the key?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car has no radio or heater. I looked at the ignition switch diagram you ent me. The wires on my switch dont match your diagram. The wiring harness is a ez wiring fusebox and harness. It was installed when I bought the car. There are no dash lights, no lighter, and no speedo. Also, there are only three wires on the light switch. Red-battery, Brown-light, Blue-dimmer. When I turn on the motor and I pull the headlight switch...the lights go on. The high beams floor switch works also. This is goingg to sound strange....when the lights are on, I turn the dimmer switch to the right and the headlights dim instead of the dash lights. All I want to do is get the lights to turn on without the engine running.

·
27,020 Posts
My car has no radio or heater. I looked at the ignition switch diagram you ent me. The wires on my switch dont match your diagram. The wiring harness is a ez wiring fusebox and harness. It was installed when I bought the car. There are no dash lights, no lighter, and no speedo. Also, there are only three wires on the light switch. Red-battery, Brown-light, Blue-dimmer. When I turn on the motor and I pull the headlight switch...the lights go on. The high beams floor switch works also. This is goingg to sound strange....when the lights are on, I turn the dimmer switch to the right and the headlights dim instead of the dash lights. All I want to do is get the lights to turn on without the engine running.
There should be a red with black stripe wire going to the very front batt terminal of the light switch that comes from a headlight circuit breaker on the EZ fuse block. This breaker has constant power if the fuse block is wired correctly, but who knows??? The headlights are apparently wired to the instrument-gray wire terminal of the switch and will blow the dimmer rheostat soon.
As seen in the drawing, there should be 7 wires on the light switch. The EZ wires are usually labled on the wires.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. As I see in the drawing, there is a white ground, orange and a gray wire. Dont have any of these on the headlight switch.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I have a 57 and some of my wires are incorrectly placed. The car has the original loom and it is in great shape. My problems are. 1. the dash lights only come on when the engine is running. 2. the dome light comes on when the doors are open but is unaffected at all by the light switch. 3. the heater and radio do NOT go off with the ignition switch. 4. the back up lights work without the igniton being on??? 5. the glove box light doesn't work. 6. the cigarette lighter doesn't work. Haven't got to the clock yet. Otherwise, all seems OK. HELP

·
27,020 Posts
I have a 57 and some of my wires are incorrectly placed. The car has the original loom and it is in great shape. My problems are. 1. the dash lights only come on when the engine is running. 2. the dome light comes on when the doors are open but is unaffected at all by the light switch. 3. the heater and radio do NOT go off with the ignition switch. 4. the back up lights work without the igniton being on??? 5. the glove box light doesn't work. 6. the cigarette lighter doesn't work. Haven't got to the clock yet. Otherwise, all seems OK. HELP
1. Do the dash lights dim when the knob is turned? The dash light gray wire should be plugged to one of the terminals on the upper left corner of the fuse block. .... http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/110-7-01.gif
2. There should be a white wire on the headlight switch that grounds the dome light circuit. ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-8.gif
3. A pink wire from the ignition switch accessory terminal should go to the terminal at the lower left of the fuse panel. See link under #1.
4. A green wire going to the backup light switch on the column should be on one of the fuse clips next to the radio fuse. See link under #1.
5. The glove box light should have a wire from the red wire in the clock plug. ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-5.gif
6. The cigrette lighter, clock, and glove box are all on the same red wire circuit. The same red wire circuit goes to the headlight switch and the fuse block. There is a splice inside the harness that multiple red wires are connected together to go to different locations. .....http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring%20diagrams/Chevrolet/MWireChev57_3WD-057.jpg

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Finally got a headlight switch and decided to tackle the problems previously described. First, my old light switch was burned out where it controls the dash lights dimming and to control the dome light when the doors are closed. Also, the terminal towards the front of the switch (as sitting in the car) was bent over not engaging the light switch harness, either accidentally or on purpose. This, of course, grounds the dome light switch. The other problems were solved by reversing the battery and ignition wires at the fuse panel. The dome light, glove box etc. wire was on the wrong terminal, moved up just above where it was. The dash light wire has to be moved to 3 amp fuse location at the mid far left terminal on the fuse panel. Just my cigarette lighter now needs to be fixed. Don suggestions and the installations manuals and just common sense was all that was needed. One of the easiest fixes on my car thus far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts