Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im try to intall a new headliner in my 1956 2 door handyman and have a question on the bows the fine Bowe without hooks is the 3 bow near the doomlight? The erlier carowner have mount off the old headliner and mark the fine bow as nr 2 must be wrong? And the new tack strips i glue them? Thanks

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Hi im try to intall a new headliner in my 1956 2 door handyman and have a question on the bows the fine Bowe without hooks is the 3 bow near the doomlight? The erlier carowner have mount off the old headliner and mark the fine bow as nr 2 must be wrong? And the new tack strips i glue them? Thanks
Can't help you out much with the bows. When I took my headliner down, I didn't know they were different lengths, therefore I didn't mark them. Had to fit each one before installing the new headliner. What a pain.

As for the tack strip, you have a handyman and I have a 2d 210 wagon, so I'm not sure the application is the same for both. But, you should have some tabs that go around the door and frame work where the old tack strip was attached. These are very delicate and can't take a lot of bending. At least mine didn't and I broke off a few. If you can, bend these out no more then you have to, allowing the tack strip to slide underneath. Then press the tabs against the new strip. Where the tabs were missing or broken, I also used a 3M glue to hold the tack strip in place. This seemed to work quite well. Others have also mentioned using rivets or sheet metal screws along with the glue. Just make sure you know where the screw is going to come out. Hope this helps a little. Have fun, Carmine.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
One word of advise before you install headliner mark every screw hole you will need stainless strips mirror sunviser etc , i didnt and it is a PIA trying to find holes that are covered by Tack strips and headliner material ,

for tack strips i used ply wood and glued it in with liquid nails worked well ,
Wayne,

·
Administrator
49,512 Posts
And the new tack strips i glue them?
If the metal tabs are still in place then glue isn`t needed. If no tabs then glue a rivet, i don`t trust the glue alone.
Terry

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is metal tabs round the doors to the tack strips but over the windchield and side vindows there is no metal tabs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts