Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Greetings from Maine.

I did a search first, then read a tech article and learned some tricks and tips, but I have several questions still to ask:

(Two door 1957 210 post sedan)

1) I bought a new fabric headliner, and the parallel pockets for the bows are only 1/2 wide. How do I get the "L" shaped bow ends to slide through those very narrow pockets - do I have to temporarily straighten the "L" on each one and then bend them back???

2) I also bought a set of new tack strips. Do the strips for around the 1/4 windows and doors just need to be held in place with the triangular tabs, or should they be glued/screwed in place too?
Should the staples holding the headliner to the tack strips be long enough to go through the rubber and into the metal?

3) I'm scared as **** to use too much 3M adhesive on the headliner install, I'd rather not drip any on the painted parts or have it soak through the cotton fabric. Should I only use the 3M goop on the areas above the side glass, and in limited quantities?

4) Order of headliner attachment - front first, then sides, then rear? Or is a different approach recommended for a two-door sedan?

Thanks for any advice, encouragement, tips, secrets, sympathy or offers to fly to Maine to help. Lobster prices are real good - I'll boil a few for 'ya. :)

I bought the headliner and tack strips from a vendor at Carlisle and it comes with no instructions....and my car was stripped bare when I got it. I'm learning the hard way to re-assemble it every step of the way. This forum is a great source of info!

Tom

·
Administrator
48,736 Posts
1) I bought a new fabric headliner, and the parallel pockets for the bows are only 1/2 wide. How do I get the "L" shaped bow ends to slide through those very narrow pockets - do I have to temporarily straighten the "L" on each one and then bend them back???
Tom, no. I don`t think you could straighten them anyway. Use some masking tape on the end going in to help it slip through the material and you just have to work them through.
I also bought a set of new tack strips. Do the strips for around the 1/4 windows and doors just need to be held in place with the triangular tabs, or should they be glued/screwed in place too?
Should the staples holding the headliner to the tack strips be long enough to go through the rubber and into the metal?
Yes the metal tabs should hold the tack strip. A 3/8" staple is plenty long. If you have a stapler that will shoot them into metal i don`t want to be around you when using it.:D

3) I'm scared as **** to use too much 3M adhesive on the headliner install, I'd rather not drip any on the painted parts or have it soak through the cotton fabric. Should I only use the 3M goop on the areas above the side glass, and in limited quantities?
You don`t need any glue at all for the install.
Terry

·
Administrator
48,736 Posts
4) Order of headliner attachment - front first, then sides, then rear? Or is a different approach recommended for a two-door sedan?
On mine i started with the cardboard strip in the rear and worked forward, one bow at a time. Then pull the front tight and let it sit overnight. If it loosens some then repull and restaple. Then go to work on the sides working the wrinkles out from the middle to each side.
Terry

·
Administrator
48,736 Posts
Rusty isn`t yours a hardtop? If so the hardtop doesn`t have the cardboard strip in the rear. It staples to a tack strip just like the front does. Just a little FYI.
Terry

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,423 Posts
I'm going to be doing my headliner soon.
Terry, on a hardtop, don't you start at the center and stretch it to the front and back? The center bow is fastened solid to the roof.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys - I'm building knowledge & confidence to tackle this interior!
:happy0030:

The lobster bake invitation is still good!

Here's a photo of the '57 as I'm getting it back together. The weather is beginning to cool off enough to work inside an enclosed space again.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a stapler that will shoot them into metal i don`t want to be around you when using it.:D

Terry

Terry, the original staples were driven right through the strips into the sheet metal. Had to forcibly yank them all out with a pair of Robo-Grips. I'm glad that isn't necessary. I'd shoot my eye out! :eek:

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
headliner hardliner

:party0031:shout the eyes out.....thats funny. uuuuhhhh this is my next step but befor i go to hollydays.
i think the original points are stupid.headliner install into my charger 69 was easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts