Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to pull the old headliner. Any thoughts on things to make note of such as order/location of bows.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Put a piece of masking tape on each one listing which one it is and which hole it came out of. #1 - 1st from the windshield, top hole, #2 -2nd from windshield bottom hole, etc.

·
Administrator
49,472 Posts
I always number them from 1 thru ? , starting front to rear. If there are 2 sets of holes for the mounting holes i use a wax marker to indicate which hole it was in.
Terry

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have followed a couple threads on installations like the one Belairv8 did and just wanted to be sure before I pull out the old one. Installation of the new one looks to be fun!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I also could use a little advice on my headliner install? There was no tac strips across the back over the rear window and across the front over the windshield (55 2dr sedan). How are these tac strips held in place? Glue, riveted? The back window is also out off the car at this point in time. What would be the best order of install? Would it be eazier to install the headliner 1st or do the rear glass then the headliner? Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
I have 1955 chevy 210 2 dr sedan I glued and riveted my in all of my tack strips. you will also need to install your windlace before you install your headliner. the molding around the windshields helps hold your headliner in. I believe what I would do is go ahead and put the tack strip in with the windshields out gives you a little more room to work , but mine were already in either way will work then install windows. Its a tight squeeze stapling in the headliner use an upholstery stapler with a long snout. leave the screws for the sunvisor brackets unscrewed some so you can locate them after the head liner is in. get a couple of buds to help should not be a problem
good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Bennie. Yes I have the windlace all ready to go in 1st. Can you recommend what type of glue I should use on the tack strips? Putting the headliner in 1st sounds like a good idea. With the rear glass out I should have alot more room to work.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Use a good contact cement and rivets for the tack strip. The glass in is no problem with installing the headliner.
Terry
What Terry said :tu plus and I would recommend the glass be installed prior to headliner installation. It's a lot easier to install the tack strips with the glass out.

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
I used a 3m adhesive product to glue in my weather strip don't remember number but it is used for gluing on the rubber backed trim they put on cars today. got it at oreillys
. one other thing make sure you have all your screw holes for the interior window trim well located they can be a little hard to find after the liner is in. I took a non permenat marker and had there location marked on the inside of the windshield and the back glass.

good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm waiting on rear glass mld. clips I ordered the other day. So I'll put the frt. & rear tack strips in 1st. While the glue is drying I can do the windlace. Maybe by that time the clips will be here and I can put the rear glass back in. Good idea about locating all the screw holes Bennie! You guys are the best!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I agree with Terry. Once you start pulling to stretch that headliner, the glue may pull loose from the tack strip. Never fun to start going back to do things again.
To keep from the sides wrinkling and not pulling smooth, cut some of the listing (headliner cloth that hanger slides through). I didn't cut enough of mine and had a hard time getting it smoothed out on the sides on some of them. It likes to bind up and gather there.
It also helps to do it when the headliner is warmed up from the sun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
best/cheapest place to buy a headliner

where can i get the best deal on a headliner, tack strips, and windlace for my 55 belair 2 door sedan? im looking for non perforated white vinyl, not the cloth one. thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
where can i get the best deal on a headliner, tack strips, and windlace for my 55 belair 2 door sedan? im looking for non perforated white vinyl, not the cloth one. thanks in advance for any help.
Check with Ciadella, they are sponsor here, and offer a 10% discount. http://www.ciadellainteriors.com/

That is where I got mine and the quality and price was excellent.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
What do you do if all the bows have been removed from the car and not marked. How do you figure out where they go?
I do not plan on installing the headliner myself, I am going to have a trim guy do it, just curious as to how to figure out where they go.

Wayne

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
I had this info from some earlier post here:

#1 - 52 1/8 inches
#2 - 53 9/16
#3 - 51 7/8
#4 -54 3/8
#5 - 54 5/8
#6 - 55 5/16
#7 rear - 57 1/4

If they fit in the holes and press barely against the roof they are in the right place, if not try them in another position.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts