Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 56 and I'm new to restoration with beginner knowledge. I have a heater control lever missing (one on the dash plate that sets the heater temperature not the floor to defrost). I can put in a new arm and cable, but how do I know it is not a relay as well I need to purchase? If the heater seems to be putting out heat and defrost, and it does and seems to adjust floor to defrost, to some degree - does that mean the heater relay is OK? If so, I'll just get a lever and cable.

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
There's no relay except on the fan circuit, unrelated to the levers. One vertical lever operates the heater valve, the other moves a flapper door from heat only to defrost only. The horizontal one is for fresh air/no fresh air.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fan works so I don't need to order any relay. All else is present except lever for heat level and cable. Does the cable attach directly to a point on the heater or where? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
PICT1849.jpg

Is this what you need to see?

Eugene

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pic. I will get out to look at things in the car as weather and time permit here. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Thanks for the pic. I will get out to look at things in the car as weather and time permit here. I appreciate the help.
No problem.....the cable you see in the pic I sent is the cable that operates that flapper door that Rick L was telling you about.

Eugene

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Diagrams and schematics like that are very helpful to a limited knowledge guy like me who is also just getting started with a TriFive project.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have now done some work on the lever and cable. If this makes any sense, when I attach the cable to the prong on the lever - which way will it be for no heat - All the way in the cable sheath or all the way out of the sheath? It is hard to tell which would be best before I hook it up. Just trying to avoid making the wire twist connection multiple times trying to get it right. Since it was broken at purchase and no label on the unit - I would think that all the way up should be no heat.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for info on the lever. Need to get a manual. Now since up is off - would the cable as attached to the lever be full in the sheath or full out?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
Thanks for info on the lever. Need to get a manual. Now since up is off - would the cable as attached to the lever be full in the sheath or full out?
Off would be full out of the sheath.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,713 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As said, the glove box and ashtray removal worked the trick to get it done. Now I have to find the little black knobs on the lever - it seems they are about as expensive as the levers themselves. I can do without the knobs until I find cheap ones now that the lever works.

Bruce

1 - 17 of 17 Posts