·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
As I look deeper into my month old purchase
of my 56 del ray coupe I am finding all the things
I should have looked at closer before I pulled the
trigger. Sad thing is I would have bought it anyway...
That said, I noticed the heater core is by passed. Is
it a costly pain in the keester repair? Also, the car has
different heater controls instead of the sliding type it
has a dial type switch? Any suggestions on what to do first?
Thanks,
Tom V

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Tom dont let something small get in the way of owning a classic.

Sounds like you do not have a deluxe heater but a recirculating heater.
You may need to check out why the heater was bypassed, is the heater core leaking?

Below are some pics of the set up.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Forgot to mention if you are running original radiator use a 7lbs rad cap.
I think it's more important if you have an original heater core. Radiators get lots more attention due to location than the heater core. Lots of guys install higher pressure radiator caps (13-16#) in hopes of bringing their overheating issues into more acceptable ranges. While the higher pressure increases the boiling point of the coolant it puts increased pressure on a marginal 60 year old heater core that was designed to run at only 7 lbs. In doing this, in short order the cores usually spring a leak.

Don

·
Registered
296 Posts
All good advice above and awesome factory manual illustration. One thing I noticed on the hose attachments, you must hook up the hoses as illustrated or your heat will work like crap. Top to bottom and bottom to top. I had mine top to top and bottom to bottom. I switched them and now I am warm as toast on the coldest NJ winter day. I think it has something to do with th directional coolant flow on the heater core valve.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
My 55 150 had one of those style and I converted it to the lever type because of better parts availability.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
All good advice above and awesome factory manual illustration. One thing I noticed on the hose attachments, you must hook up the hoses as illustrated or your heat will work like crap. Top to bottom and bottom to top. I had mine top to top and bottom to bottom. I switched them and now I am warm as toast on the coldest NJ winter day. I think it has something to do with th directional coolant flow on the heater core valve.
absolutely correct.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts