Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting around to replacing the heater hoses with "correctly" marked replacements along with the included spring type clamps (Corbin?). Needless to say, the clamps are a be-otch without the special tool for them. I've been able to get the two valve hoses on (cheated on the lower heater core and put on a worm clamp) after alot of work and am now ready to install the one running from the core to the water pump. Is the correct routing for that hose under or over the blower transition piece that runs from the blower to the firewall? It looks like either way I run that hose I'll need to cut some off. I have the deluxe heater.

Also, so far I've used a light coating of Permatex black silicone sealant when installing the hose ends. That ok?

Rich

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take an old set of channel locks and cut a groove in each jaw.....works good for what ya need ..... :anim_25:
Cowboy :flag6:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

I’ve been able to get a few of them on already with both vise grips and channellocks. Looking for help with correct routing of the last hose from the core to the water pump.

Thanks

·
Administrator
48,436 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,222 Posts
I guess until you have to take the hose off to replace. Why do you want to use that stuff on the hoses anyhow? The clamps will work fine by themselves so I would take a pass on gooping up the hoses with rtv.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess until you have to take the hose off to replace. Why do you want to use that stuff on the hoses anyhow? The clamps will work fine by themselves so I would take a pass on gooping up the hoses with rtv.
Thought I'd read that it was recommended. I didn't goop it, just a thin layer. I'll leave it off on the remaining hose if not really needed.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Two pieces of advice that have already been alluded to. If your using the orginal style clamps, buy the proper tool or you'll likely goober them up to the point that you won't want to look at them (and waste hours of you life that you'll never get back).

Get the assembly manual and study all the diagrams available for whatever part of the car you are working on.

And I had the same worries about the hoses leaking, but they definitely do not.

I have even been able to take the hoses on and off several times and they still seal fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Only 7 psi on those hoses, unless you’ve added a higher pressure radiator cap in which case the heater core is in danger.
Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts