Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put back into my 55 the heater with a new core and valve. When the heater valve is off and I rev the engine, I hear a chatter or shuttering noise in the heater housing I believe from the valve. Would reversing the heater hoses help? Is the coolant putting pressure on the backside of the valve because coolant is pushing on it in the opposite direction? If I open the heater valve, the noise goes away entirely.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Heater Valve Chatters

My 55 heater valve used to chatter with the valve open and higher cruising speeds. I later found out I had the hoses reversed. Now that the hoses are correct I get no noise from the heater valve under any conditions. Not sure if your symptoms with it making noise closed are the same reason or not.

The hoses effectively cross, the one that is lowest on the engine (from the water pump) goes to the upper nipple on the heater core. The higher one on the engine (intake manifold) goes to the lower nipple on the heater core.

At least that is how it is on my 55 265 V8. Would expect it to be the same for most SBCs.

I agree it is a noticeable noise, I was sure glad to get rid of it.
Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.