Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that it's freezing cold here by our standards, I'm finding that my heater doesn't work.
I have a holden heater core fitted in my consul, but it doesn't seem to get vary warm. The motor is s.b. 350 and the temp gauge sits on about 125 to 150deg in this colder weather. Is the motor running to cold if so what temperature should it run at.
Any help appreciated
Cheers -stu

·
Administrator
70,795 Posts
Theres a couple of things you can check. Can you access the hoses that go to the heater, you`ll be able to tell if hot water from the engine is going into the heater as well as the return hose from the heater.

Next do you have a valve to allow the water to flow into the heater core again check to see if you get the water flowing through the core.

If you have a fan to push the hot air through check to see if thats also working.

Thats a start, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I will check that this weekend.
Another thing that could be affecting it is that it runs on LPG.
I have restricted the flow into the converter by placing a dowel with a 5mm hole drilled through it into the hose, but that hasn't mad any difference.

cheers -stu

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
After a cruise on Sunday, I found that the valve to the core wasn't working. I took off the hose going to the heater core from the tap, started her up and nothing came out. Another tap should solve the problem. Thanks for the help
Cheers -Stu

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Well now that it's freezing cold here by our standards, I'm finding that my heater doesn't work.
I have a holden heater core fitted in my consul, but it doesn't seem to get vary warm. The motor is s.b. 350 and the temp gauge sits on about 125 to 150deg in this colder weather. Is the motor running to cold if so what temperature should it run at.
Any help appreciated
Cheers -stu
If the temperature gauge is reading 125 to 150 degrees Farenheit, either your gauge is reading incorrectly or your thermostat is bad. Replace the thermostat with a new 180 degree one.

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
After a cruise on Sunday, I found that the valve to the core wasn't working. I took off the hose going to the heater core from the tap, started her up and nothing came out. Another tap should solve the problem. Thanks for the help
Cheers -Stu

Glad you were able to find the problem....I don't care for cold...:sign0020:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
If the temperature gauge is reading 125 to 150 degrees Farenheit, either your gauge is reading incorrectly or your thermostat is bad. Replace the thermostat with a new 180 degree one.
we work in celsius down down ere.
Yeah, I know.

But - if Stu's '57 was running 125-150 degrees Celsius, chances are he'd have problems a little more urgent than no heat from the heater. :) So, I took a wild guess he meant Farenheit.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Thats right but some of our gauges work in Farenheit.

I would also say a 180 Thermostat might help.

Also I wouldnt say I was using LPG, Angs1957 might think your cheap.

By the way I`m with you I love LPG and I just thought I`d post some useless info like Ang does.
1956, I think your recent comments about Angs are inappropriate.

Yes - Angs does make some posts that don't contribute important information. So, he enjoys chatting. What's the harm in that?

At the same time, Angs is quite generous in sharing useful information. I know because I've observed it, and I've personally benefitted from it.

When Original Pete was active here, he posted twice as often but contributed half as much useful information as Angs. But, Pete was a likeable guy, and no one seemed to mind very much.

When I was a newbie on this site, I was looking for some information, and having one heck of a time finding it. Now, I'm pretty knowledgeable about tri-fives, and I pride myself on finding obscure but useful information. But, I was stuck. So, one of my very first posts was to ask for help.

Angs sent me the information I was looking for, and a pile of extra stuff too. Then, he refused to allow me to reimburse him for postage from Australia to the US. All he would accept was a "thank you" from a total newbie to this site.

I like most people I've met here, but there are a few who p*ss me off. I choose to hold my tongue in most cases. I'm sure I p*ss a few people off as well, but they show me that same respect.

If we can all put our differences aside, perhaps we can get back to helping Stu get the heater working on his tri-five.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hahahaha.

It`s ok for him to make racist remarks about LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) being a cheap Lebonese Petrol (gasolene).

I gave him the right of reply and he chose not to appoligize for his remarks.

Now I`m the bad guy.:sign0020:

Maybe I should have posted you something for free to get in your good books or posted 30000 comments about nothing like he does :sign0013:

·
Administrator
70,795 Posts
Hahahaha.

It`s ok for him to make racist remarks about LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) being a cheap Lebonese Petrol (gasolene).

Maybe I should have posted you something for free to get in your good books or posted 30000 comments about nothing like he does :sign0013:
If I can throw out some useless information that may make some people see the lighter side of things. Some of my closest friends are lebonese in fact the LP racist remark originated from them as we would constantly joke about how tight we were when we had to part with $$$.

It may not seem like it but I hope that I have a sense of humour and take certain remarks as water off a ducks back.

To some maybe I spend too much time on the site but I consider my self as part of the community, one of the voluntary duties that I perform like other admin/moderators is to check posts, whilst reading others comments and have it opened I might as well throw in my 2 cents worth, where I feel others may benefit I will try and help where I can.

If I have offended people then take this as an apology.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If I can throw out some useless information that may make some people see the lighter side of things. Some of my closest friends are lebonese in fact the LP racist remark originated from them as we would constantly joke about how tight we were when we had to part with $$$.

It may not seem like it but I hope that I have a sense of humour and take certain remarks as water off a ducks back.

To some maybe I spend too much time on the site but I consider my self as part of the community, one of the voluntary duties that I perform like other admin/moderators is to check posts, whilst reading others comments and have it opened I might as well throw in my 2 cents worth, where I feel others may benefit I will try and help where I can.

If I have offended people then take this as an apology.
I to have lots of Leb friends and we dont know where your remarks came from as we cant read your mind.
Allthough going by most of your posts those remarks where just a spur of the moment thing.

Here is a couple of your 2c worth to benefit others.
These replies will get these five cars on their way.

Well done

Glad to hear you found it

:anim_25:

You know we love pics

Check the glass fuse on the pic:anim_25:

This is some of your best work, top 5 from the last 35 posts which 33 of them are yours.. Anyways going the way you are you should hit 40000 by this Christmas. So as you would say What a great job :anim_25: and ;amin_111; :sign0020:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Hahahaha.

I said what I had to say. And you have as well.

Now, let's get back to fixing tri-fives.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.