Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Ive got an HEI distributor giving me trouble. Ive got the stiffest springs in i could find, but its giving me over half the mechanical advance at idle. I know this because i took out the weights and got 2 degrees initial at idle. I then put the weights back in and got 20 initial, 29 total. This is all with the vacuum disconnected of course. I tried grinding my weights to make them lighter even, and ive cleaned all the surfaces. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Denver, Colo
625 Posts
If you don't want to spend a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this, you won't find a better price on a new Accel HEI distributor than what Holley Performance sells on eBay.
You would just need to use the coil & coil cover from your old HEI cap.
New Accel HEI from Holley Performance on eBay.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everythings snaps back into place easily when i move it, so i woukd think its clean? The bushings under the weights being too big? What? I thought of getting a new distributor, but id really rather just put my mind to it and figure out this one

·
Registered
36,526 Posts
HEI distributors are notorious for wearing the pins and holes in all the centrifugal advance parts. I can see that in the photo the mechanism isn't returning to zero. There is only a bushing in one spot, and some don't even have that. But if the pins are worn, you're screwed anyway. Two of the 4 pins can't be replaced unless you take the distributor apart and replace the top plate that is welded to the main shaft.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The outer weights do have bushings, i found ones at the hardware store that are a little loose, but there. The center is at the end of its travel, and when i took the weights off and ran it to test it was at 2 degrees initial so id think it would return?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts