Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mocking up my chassis right now to set the stance.
I've got 2 options: Stock spindles or Heidt's 2" drop
and not sure which I will end up using.

Whichever spindle I use will determine the brake set I buy,
so I don't want to spend a lot of money on brakes during the mockup.

I've got it mocked up with the stock hubs now, so my question is:

What is a cheap way to mock up the Heidt's spindles?

What rotors will fit them for a mockup?

Anybody have a set of these rotors/bearings for sale cheap?

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
The cheap way to mock up the Heidt's spindles IMO is this: I assume you are using the mockup shocks you showed in an earlier post.

Measure the distance from the cross member to the floor with the stock spindles. Modify your mockup shocks to where the crossmember height is 2" lower. Use a 5/16" wheel spacer to move the wheels out if you will be using the standard Heidt's brake package.

I don't know if this mocks up everything you wanted to mock up, but for me it would be adequate until I had the real stuff.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick,

Thanks, that's some solid advice, but it might get a bit confusing.

I'm trying to mock up for stance, ride height, shock travel, and overall
shock length all at the same time (For ordering the correct coil-over shocks)

That's why I thought it would be better to actually use the Heidt's spindles
when mocking up. Seems there is a ratio of slightly over 1.5:1 ratio (shock adjustment/crossmember height) when you make coilover shock adjustments
using the stock spindles.

I would rather use the stock spindles but will probably need the 2" drop of
the Heidts to get my stance just right.

Do you know what rotors fit the Heidts? Cheapest way to get some?

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
A 79-82 Malibu rotor is what's on the "standard" Heidt's dropped spindle brake package. The 80s/90s S-10 rotors and the later Malibu rotor is the same except they have metric lugs. That rotor/spindle combo moves the wheel out 5/16" per side compared to stock.

Seems to me that you can do everything you want at no expense the way I had it. I dunno, maybe not.

If you are thinking about bigger aftermarket brakes they can vary as to mounting width. For instance the Baers have really thick custom hubs but that can be fixed. Not sure on the Wilwoods but I'm sure Wilwood or Heidt's could tell you. ECI has a package with a custom aluminum hub too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm mocking up my chassis right now to set the stance.
I've got 2 options: Stock spindles or Heidt's 2" drop
and not sure which I will end up using.

Whichever spindle I use will determine the brake set I buy,
so I don't want to spend a lot of money on brakes during the mockup.

I've got it mocked up with the stock hubs now, so my question is:

What is a cheap way to mock up the Heidt's spindles?

What rotors will fit them for a mockup?

Anybody have a set of these rotors/bearings for sale cheap?
The lowered spindles I put on my 55 used mid 1980's monte carlo/buick regal rotors. They were cheap and easy to find

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
If you already have the Heidt's spindles then you might as well complete the package and use them. You can't mock up anything with the 10 1/2" rotors without the Heidt's spindles, those rotors won't fit your stock spindles they use larger outer bearings then the stock spindle

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't been to a wrecking yard in a long time. Think I'll call and see how much a set of rotors will cost.

Rick, you are right. I can do everything with the stock spindles, but I feel like things might be just a bit off if I'm not using the actual spindles.

BTW, Thanks for the advice over the last couple of years.
I'd like to meet you if you ever get up to the Dallas area or when we
visit our friends down in the Houston area.

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
A 1980 Malibu rotor is $26 at O'reillys. You could probably get an S-10 rotor with used bearings for the same price at a pick-a-part.

Do you alreay have the spindles? Why not just buy the brake parts, or part of them? If you don't use them, you'll at least get some of your money back, that would be price you'd pay for a full mockup.

Let's look at it another way. Do your mockup with the stock stuff. Then build a shock length mockup that would lower the car 2" at the wheel like a spindle would. If you like it enough, then buy the parts to finish that part of the mockup. Then you could play with lowering it some more with the springs by adjusting the mockup shock.

In the end, you still have to make your real springs do what your mocked up springs did. That is the hardest part anyway, I will promise you that.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I'm trying to mock up for stance, ride height, shock travel, and overall
shock length all at the same time (For ordering the correct coil-over shocks)
Wouldn't using the shock simulators to lower the car to the desired ride height with the stock spindles, give the wrong angle of the control arm, compared to the angle with a 2" dropped spindle? The coil over mesurements would be off.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm looking at Wilwood (stock spindles) or an ECI/Wilwood combination (Heidt's spindles) for brakes.

Either way, it will be a bit spendy. That's why I'm trying to do the
mockup on the cheap and to be sure I'm ordering the right brake
setup.

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
So what are the unknowns with those setups?

What are your concerns/goals for the brake package mockup as compared to the shock length/mounting?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts