Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at going with new upper control arms to get more caster.

What are the pros and cons of standard vs. narrowed Heidts arms? Should I go with narrowed to make sure they clear my CPP500 steering box?

I'd also appreciate your real world experiences with Heidts, CPP, and others.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well, I have been waiting to get my lowers from Earle Williams who uses a modified version of Heidts for about a month now. Just spoke with Earle today and Heidt's has been holding him up due to the fact that they are moving. Not sure what your time frame is but take that into consideration.

·
Registered
38,755 Posts
MikeB, narrowed arms don't have anything to do with steering box clearance.

What they do is move your wheels inboard because they are shorter from the inner shaft to the ball joint. Of course you'll have to have both uppers and lowers.

Shortened control arms are going to change your suspension geometry a bit. They will change roll center and camber gain, and not for the good. They also change the leverage between the ball joint/wheel hub and the spring. In other words they will change the effective spring rate at the wheel (without changing the spring).

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Mike,

If you buy the uppers narrowed you have to buy the matching lowers.
They've probably changed, but the narrowed lowers didn't have a sway bar mounting tab last time I looked at them.

You can come over and check out how the Heidts standard arms fit my 56.
It also has a 500 box.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Mike...if you decide to get a set and want to run coil-overs, I have a pair of lower Heidt's arms for sale, but they will need new bushings. The deal is that these can't be used with the stock coils though, but I do have a set of Carerra coil-overs to go with them.

Heidt's used to make two different types of LCA's in the 90's...one for eyelet mounted coil-overs and one for standard coil springs.

I have the uppers as well, but am keeping them for now. I have no complaints or fitment issues with them.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Narrowed arms don't have anything to do with steering box clearance.

What they do is move your wheels inboard because they are shorter from the inner shaft to the ball joint. Of course you'll have to have both uppers and lowers.
Glad I asked. You think they'd call them "shorter". It's a whole new deal for me. I have experience only with stock arms.

Come on, Chad, those uppers are just screaming for a new home.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.