Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals,

Wanted to drop in a say hi. I was sent over form the Team Chevelle forum. I have the same user name over there if you frequent that site too. I took the Finace' to the Good Guys show in Charlotte last weekend and now she wants me to build a 55 or 57 Chevy:) . She's leaning more towards the 55. We both like the Hardtops and not the post models. Being new to the tri fives, what's the difference between all the models? Thanks for the help and look forward to dealing with you guys. The folks over at Team Chevelle are great!!!
A little about me: I've been into classics for a while. Owned a bunch of Mustangs (65-66-67 fastbacks), made a few Shelby Clones, a 1934 Ford hot rod from a kit, a 67 GTO, and now this 70 Chevelle I'm toying with. I must say I'm defenitely a fan of the GM way of doing a few things over the Ford way. Looking forward to getting a good 55 to start with!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Welcome

Hi Dave, and welcome to Trifive. Glad to hear that you and fiance' are interested in '55-'57 Chevy's. I've got a '55 BelAir 2dr sedan, so I'm kinda partial. Somewhere in my files I have a chart showing the differences and features of the different models. When I find it I will post it to simplify things, cause I'm not sure I will get it all right.
Anyway it's good to hear from you and keep us posted on your progress on finding your project car.:) :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PapaMike. I appreciate the help. I'm debating if I should buy a basket case and do things my way, or buy one that's driving and already modified. I like doing things myself so just not sure which route I'm going for. I'd prefer to get something that's stripped, but not a rust bucket, and do it my way. But not having previous experience with them, that's a daunting task:confused: . I don't need a wiring diagram for 67 mustangs as I've done so many, but not knowing what goes where on a car that is not complete may be asking for trouble:eek: . But then again, if I'm modifying everything anyway, who cares?! Looking forward to the chart and thanks.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Welcome.

As with any classic car, your decision to buy a basket case vs. a driver is often dictated by money -- I'm sure you've heard the advice "Buy the most car you can afford and start there!" I bought my 57 to learn about working on cars and bought a little less than what I could afford because I wanted to be forced to learn! I've learned a ton, but sometimes I wish I had a little better car! With your experience, you don't need this advice, but it's all I've got right now!

Try this link for some good info.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Welcome Dave! The differences between the post cars and hardtop models are subtle to the untrained eye. To the trained eye there are many. Interior options included different upholstry patterns, upgraded trim (stainless) pieces for both the interior and exterior on the hardtop/BelAir model. If I am not mistaken the roof line on the hardtop is actually lower than the 210's and the 150 models. The lower roof line and the absense of the post's make the BelAir longer sleeker looking. I prefer the look (short and boxy) of the post cars. Good luck on your car search......welcome to the family!

55fazzi

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
That's a really nice explanation, 55fazzi! I like the longer sleeker look so I prefer the hardtops -- gee, wonder if that's why chevy had so much success with BOTH models :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Welcome! The GoodGuys event in Charlotte is one event that I've never been to....but....would sure like to! Perhaps next year! I have driven around many of the Nascar tracks around the country but REALLY want to do a couple laps around Lowe's!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Welcome to the site Dave!!! I bought a 56 210 2 door sedan rolling chassis. That is what I could afford to get. After thinking it over I would probably end up doing the same overhaul as I am now even if I had bought a driver.
Dave

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I want to keep my 57 hardtop AND get a Chevelle! Hope to be able to do so some day....

·
Administrator
49,664 Posts
Welcome to the site. If you are going to do much changing on a car you might as well find one that needs work instead of paying for the work already done on one and still tearing it apart and redoing it. Just my thought on it. Oh and i own a chevelle also, needing rebuilt now, besides my 57 sedan.
Terry

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Dave Welcome to the site what ever year or model tri five you choose will be a good one because after all it's a trifive with that being said happy to have you here great bunch of people here to help you out with any questions you might have or just to talk sal

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help guys. And the explanation of the difference between the Bel Air and the post model is spot on. I always wondered why I like the looks of the hardtops better, and that tells me why. Just my preference of course. They ALL look great!!!!!

I agree buy the most car for the money. If that will be the case with me, I may have to sell the Chevelle and get a nice driver. Still undecided about what I'm going to do and the finance' likes the 57 or the 55 models the best. She leans more toward the 55 for the two tone paint, and I lean more to the 57 for the fins and front chrome. If this is one of the harder decisions I have to make it'll make me a happy man.;) Looking forward to talking with you folks more about the trifives!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hey Dave.....if you are creative.....I have seen a '55 with '56 chrome (stainless) trim on the sides. It looked great with two-tone paint ( burgundy OVER white) I have seen several '55's with both '56 and '57 rear wheel openings grafted on. They look cool! I have also seen a early '62 or '63 Nova with '55 trim painted on. It also looked great! Maybe you can get a '57 and work in the '55 side spears so you can both be happy? The possibilities are endless! Any way you go...you will still own one of the coolest cars ever to come out of Detroit. Happy hunting!

Tom (55fazzi)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hey 57viper.......You nailed it!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna sell the family van and replace it with a NOMAD!!!!!! I'm also gonna tell my wife you recommended it!!! Thanks!

55fazzi

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that is a workable problem, indeed. It's fun looking for another car. I'm almost done with my Chevelle, so I'm thinking Spring for the new arrival. My SS wheels, new exhaust, and SS stipes are all going to be put on this month (I hope) so that leaves me plenty of time to start searching for the right car. Time to start browsing ebay and collector car. Thanks again!!

Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.