Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I've joined because I'm currently working on a 1955 210 sedan with my father, and we've encountered a bit of a snag and could use a little technical support! I am using a 1956 temperature gauge (and cluster) in our '55 and I am guessing the wrong sending unit, the gauge works great and the sending unit is new, problem is, by the time we get the car backed out of the garage the gauge is pinned at HOT. Local part stores don't have the ability to find the correct sending unit for 1956, so I'm guessing that I'll need to know more specifically just what criteria a sender has to meet in order to operate said gauge. Please forgive me if I'm asking this question in the wrong place here, I'm hoping this works like text messaging! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Welcome to TRI-FIVE!!! Glad to have you aboard.
The 56 gauge uses a 1 year only sender. The Airtex # 1T1063 is the only one I know of that will work correctly. It's available from Rock Auto if you can get it locally. Most auto parts stores sub it to a 57 or later sending unit, but they won't work correctly. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1326305,parttype,4748

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank-you Acardon! ->

We would have never guessed it was a one year only part! The part stores around here, their data only goes back to the early '70's. By then things like that seem to have been standardized between vehicles, so most of us thought there wouldn't be much difference! I thought it was an ohms issue. But the fact it was a one year only thing kinda changes the dynamics of the search! I've learned the "one year" ordeal, we also have a '58 2 door delray station wagon, 1 of 275 produced for the government, and of those 25 of which were full glass sided wagons like ours! Thankfully those parts haven't been too bad finding, but the 1 piece lift gate was the hardest. Thank you again ever so much!!!:shakehands:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
WELCOME

:sign0016:to trifive:shakehands: :anim_25:with your 55... Later, Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi and thanks for welcoming me!

This is kind of exciting for me, recently my father and I have managed to put our '55 back on the road after 28 years in restoration purgatory! Granted it's still in primer, there's only a windshield in it and there's more foam for the seat on the floor than in the seat, but at least it has floors now! My dad purchased the car as a two car deal for $1,500, back in '82 when I was 2 yrs old. One car (the one we kept) was a 2 door post that the trunk was floppin in, and missing floors, the other was a rock solid 4-door. Evidently back then floors were harder to come by so he parted out the 4 door and used it to rebuild the two door. But thats where the project hit a brick wall. The guy he hired to put the floors in really did some crazy work, in short, doors wouldn't fit any where nearly close, the guy milked us out of all the money, and had to be fired for messing up the car, and we were left trying to figure out how to fix the mess we were left with. So I learned how to do body work and restore cars, over the last 15 years and eventually figured out just what exactly we needed to do to put the body back on the frame. Since putting the body back down progress has been moving at quite a considerable pace! Now this once junk yard destined car has a new lease on life, and can't get a tire to stick, period! (should have in-boarded the springs!) But this car has been in my life as far back as I can remember, in our garage in a million pieces consuming much of our homes free space, so I've pretty much ate, slept, breathed, bled, sweat, and teared '55's most of all my life. Not to mention the anguish it caused between my parents! My cousin got my uncles '55 which I helped build into a 9 sec bracket car, so if I'm not working on one its another, that or one of the other classics in our network of friends. Hopefully now that our project draws to a close we'll be looking more for cruise night info, and less for technical support! I must admit though I definitely came to the right place for niche specific questions! -And that is truly invaluable! You guys have some beautiful cars, and I can hardly wait till I figure out how to load and post pictures! Sooner or later we'll be able to final paint it, but until then it sure is fun! Hope to chat with y'all again soon! Thanks for the welcoming, and the help!

68,758 Posts
:hello: hi steve and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. ................parted out a 4dr, nasty man. just kidding. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.