Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I picked up my '56 Bel Air 4-dr Sedan in Baltimore, MD, yesterday and am enroute to El Dorado, AR, driving it. My '56 has the 265 w/2 barrel carb and Powerglide. I noticed yesterday afternoon after about 100 miles a couple of "quirks" that appear to be linkage-related. First, the shift indicator needle is to the far left as in Park and does not move when lever is shifted. Moving the lever down brings the tranny through Neutral, Drive, Low, and into Reverse (with note). However, when returned to what should be the Park-position, the driveline is not locked and the emergency brake must be used to keep car from rolling. Though the car WILL shift into Reverse, often it's necessary to pull it down pretty hard and it bumps into gear. I'm loving the car after about 325 miles of driving but have forgotten to release the emergency brake a couple of times and want to fix this non-locking driveline-in-Park-issue. PLEASE share your thoughts and experience with me.

TIA

68,758 Posts
i'll bump back to top for you tia, have a safe trip. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Sounds like you have 2 problems. If the indicator does not move when you change gears there is a small rod that connects from the indicator to a tab on the shift tube its either disconnected or missing.
the other problem sounds like the shift linkage adjustment needs to be checked/set and see if that corrects the problem.
if it cant lock into park after that the pawl inside the transmission that locks the output shaft may be broken

Regards,
Robert

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses

I'm about half way home with the Chevy and will take a look at the items you mentioned when I get there.:congrats:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts