Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually not "brand new" as I did own a '57 150 2dr. back in 1961. Replaced the 6cyl. with a 283 bored out to 301 c.i., Corvette 3 spd., 411 gears and Atlas Bucrons. Boy did that thing run! Hate to admit it, but we did a lot of street racing....stop light to stop light. I'll never forget the Friday night my dad yanked me out of bed shortly after midnight, giving me a stern lecture and taking the keys to the '57 for two weeks. Back in those days we didn't ask questions, but two weeks later when he returned the keys I asked him how he knew I was street racing. His reply was "did you forget what I do for a living?" He was a railroad engineer making his last commuter run out of Chicago to Barrington, Illinois and the railroad tracks ran right along Northwest Hwy. where I was doing my light to light racing after leaving Skips in Roselle that fateful night. He spotted the black 150 with spun alum. discs. Not hard to do as it was the only one like it in our area.
I'm now the proud owner of my second '57..... another 150 2dr. My wife couldn't understand why I wanted a "base model". Fond memories maybe?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the "welcomes".....

Glad I stumbled upon this site! Found a lot of helpful info already. Yes, Mike, that's exactly where I bought the Bucrons.....our local Standard gas station. The guy was filling my tank when he motioned to the big plate glass window where he had a few tires on display. He said "son you need a set of Bucrons on the rear of this thing." A few more pay checks from my after school job at the A&P and I was back for the Bucrons. He fixed me up with the biggest set that would fit in the wheel wells.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,827 Posts
I see you spent a little time close there with the space people. I can imagine you have seen alot of changes over the past years.
Eldon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Space programs.....

Yes, sure have. After 4 yrs. in the USAF I started on the Apollo program and worked Saturn 1B and Saturn V rockets as a cryogenic/pneumatics technician (from '66 till '71). Got layed off after Apollo 15 and was away until '80 when we came back for the Shuttle program. Worked the launch pads again up until this past Jan.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,827 Posts
Wow! I am just starting in the aerospace industry so I can only imagine how amazing you job was! Truly the golden age!
Eldon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aerospace.....

Off topic I know, but at what site are you working? Yes the launch industry was always exciting. It never got to be "routine" as something was always coming up to keep the job interesting no matter how many shuttles we launched. Thought I would dive headlong into retirement but now that we're launching again I really miss being out there.

But it's time to get on with it.....I have this '57 to get back on the road and also a '35 Ford 2dr slantback project that I need to finish building. Have one road worthy streetrod.....a '40 Ford Deluxe coupe. We're going to Tampa this weekend for the S.E. Nats then up to Charlotte for the Goodguys at Lowe's speedway and next month is Turkey Run at Daytona. Sure glad it's cooling off a bit as the '40 doesn't have A/C. Used to think hot rods didn't need air but now that I'm an old guy I've changed my mind on that. (The '57 will have air!)

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,827 Posts
Ahh... the grad school site. I will be looking for a job after May after I finish my Master's degree (Master of Aerospace Engineering).

What kind of shape is the metal in your car in? Do you have the common rust in the floor? If you are mostly rust-free, you are probably leagues ahead of alot of others. As for me, I have to wait to start on a Tri-five until I get the first project ('60 Bonneville) done. Any pictures of your car yet?
Eldon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No rust....

The car spent it's whole life in western Oklahoma. I'm just the 3rd owner. It was rodded by the last owner over ten years ago. Evidence of some slight collision repair but it looks too good to redo just yet; an excellent driver/cruiser with a 350/TH400 combo. The car is matador red (found out it was originally yellow) with excellent upholestry; light/dark grey cloth interior. If I live long enough I'd like to a black paint job. Right now I'll concentrate on all the finikie, time consuming small stuff that was overlooked (in addition to the stainless and chrome). Once that stuff is taken care of I'll do dropped spindles & disc brakes on the front, rack/pinion setup, tilt column and A/C plus complete rewire which it badly needs. Not aiming for a "show stopper", just a nice, dependable "take it out and drive it car". I vividly remember when my "old car" was the only one I owned. When we got married in '68 my wife couldn't understand why I drove an "old" '61 Pontiac Catalina bubbletop with a California rake, loud mufflers, lake pipes and blackwalls on chrome reversed rims. I rebuilt the engine and added a hot cam & tri-power. Had a lot of cars like this over the years and usually it was the only car. Still like to hear the exhaust; wife finally got used to it and admits she likes it too. Our daily driver now is a '97 Dakota with K&N intake and a mean sounding muffler w/dual pipes (can't remember which system I installed).

After finishing school you'll have many great opportunites what with the new programs coming on line.....to the moon and beyond! Work is slated to start in '07 to modify LC39B launch pad for the new heavy lift rocket to get us there. What are you specializing in? Do you have job prospects? I know a lot of people at KSC who would be glad to talk with you if Florida is in your plans.

Since this isn't the forum for "space talk".....feel free to e-mail me anytime.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like our tastes in cars is nearly one in the same.I just sold a 35 Flatback Sedan this Summer,still driving a bright yellow 40 Coupe that I finished last year.Just finished up a 36 5-W Coupe and am in the middle of a 37 Flatback Sedan.Lets see some photos of your Hotrods! I need to post a few photos of my "Other Brand" cars in the gallery when time permits.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do we ever have same tastes.....

I built a '35 Ford 5 window coupe in the mid eighties (sold it to a guy in Clearwater in '90). It was chopped 4 1/2" w/filled roof, '40 Chevy headlights welded to the fenders, filled hood w/solid sides, horizontal stainless removed from the grille (left the stainless piece that runs along the grille perimeter & eliminated the crank hole), and frenched '39 tailights. Painted it Swiss Aqua which was quite different back in '88. Ran front & rear bumpers but used the "straight-no dip" bumper from a '35 pickup on the rear. Going to do everything the same on the Slantback including same paint color. Really miss that car.....it was one of two cars that I always regretted selling. The other was a '40 Ford Convertible with a chopped Carson top (a Barris brothers and Gaylord brothers car.....the real thing, built in the fifties). Another story! Anyway, I won directors pick at the very first NSRA Southeast Nationals at Tampa in '88 with the '35. The car was on it's maiden trip and not even finished (no interior, just two Chevy Celebrity seats bolted to the floor.) Boy did my wife hate that trip from Titusville! Hot and very loud as you can imagine. I kept telling her "this is a real hot rod". Had a few problems too, but we made it and went straight to the Michigan SR repair area at the Tampa fairgrounds. The front was so low (dropped axle 4-bar w/Vega box) that the pittman arm was scrapping on some of the rough sections of I-4. Some heat and a little more upward bend on the arm took care of that. I then had the car safety inspected and it passed. The director of the new SE division, Mike Mayfield, was a big, tall, fire Captain out of Birmingham, AL. He came up to me late Sat. afternoon and asked if I was going to be there Sunday for the awards and prize give-a-ways to which I replyed "of course". He then told me that he was picking my car for his award. I was dumb struck.....this was a home built car and far from "show perfect". I questioned him as to whether my car was even eligible as it wasn't finished. He said "don't worry about it. It's inspected and I like it and I'm big enough in position and stature so I'll pick any car I please". He went on to say that he was tired of all the pro-built cars winning all the awards. Well this was my only award ever and the plaque still hangs on our family room wall. I'm an old hot rodder (taught by my father, a Ford mechanic who built his first hot rod, a flathead '32 coupe, in 1936) and I never cared about "awards and trophys" but this plaque still means a lot to me. Yes, some day (in the near future I hope) I'll post some pictures of my cars. Got to get a digital camera, scanner, etc. and then learn how to do it. Still using our 10 year old Gateway but we're going to upgrade to a new Dell with all the bells and whistles.

1,544 Posts
I used to run out of Skip's drive in but I thought it was in Maywood this was way back when I was running around in my mom's 56 Ford hiding my face cause it was the least "cool" color ford you could have Rose & Coral but boy did we have fun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You may be right......

My sister from northern Illinois (Bolingbrook) was just here visiting last week and we got to talking about the good old H.S. days. She insists that Skip's was in Maywood but for some reason I always remembered it as being on a four lane Blvd. in the city limits of Roselle. I'm talking 1959-1961 time frame. She was two years behind me at Arlington High and she never went to Skip's until after '62 (I was gone by then, in the USAF). What years did you hang out there? Could it have moved after I left? Do you know where Skip's is now? I think I remember someone telling me it's in Grayslake and they host a yearly reunion???

It's tough getting old....can't remember anything and can't even win an argument with my sister! You're both probably right....I'll have humble pie, please.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.