Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my family just inherited a project of a 57. Just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone ahead of time for all the work they have done putting together this resource.
If we decide to fix this car I have no doubt this site will be invaluable.
Justin

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Hello and welcome to trifive.com.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is from when we picked it up in AZ.

So the story goes my father in law got the car in 76 without motor and trans and it has sat in storage since then.
We have never taken on a project this large before. Most I ever done is some upgrades and maintenance when I had an 87 GN.
Really want to try and fix it up for my wife it has a lot of sentimental value.

·
Registered
66,161 Posts
hi Justin and welcome. good to have you here. cool project and will make a neat family heirloom (happy wife, happy life).

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Hi & welcome. That is a good car. I hope you decide to fix it up.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,136 Posts
Welcome from a Northern neighbor from the Green Bay WI area. The project shows promise. It looks like most of it is there, which is a HUGE plus. These cars are really simple, and all the information is out there, and on here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even the smallest can be major if you are new to these cars.

Mikey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the good wishes. I thought it was a solid car but had a few local shops come by and they pretty much told me it’s junk. One even said I should scrap it or part it out because nobody would want to tackle that mess.
I know it’s rusty but I think it’s far from junk.

Needs toe boards and front floor.
Worst body spot it the rear quarter.

Just need to learn how to weld. Good thing I grabbed the welder and plasma cutter from my father in law as well!

·
9,136 Posts
Thanks for all the good wishes. I thought it was a solid car but had a few local shops come by and they pretty much told me it’s junk. One even said I should scrap it or part it out because nobody would want to tackle that mess.
I know it’s rusty but I think it’s far from junk.
View attachment 325955
Needs toe boards and front floor.
Worst body spot it the rear quarter.
View attachment 325957
Just need to learn how to weld. Good thing I grabbed the welder and plasma cutter from my father in law as well!
What were they drinking when they said that. Wow! Were they hoping to be there to snatch it when you did that.... I have done dozens of them FAR WORSE than what I see. Few floor sections, lower rear quarter skin ( done right) and unless the under side braces and inner rockers are gone.....you could be good to go. How is the trunk and more important is the area of the body below the trunk lid. This is a most common rust problem area on these cars. Bad design and location.

Mikey

Reactions: MISURACO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trunk floor has a small section driver side about the size size of a baseball. The body below the trunk lid that tucks below bumper is mostly gone.

·
9,136 Posts
Justin, start a new thread about your project in the projects section. There you can post more photos and anyone can look at them and help you out. This area you are in now, is mainly for introduction and welcome than full blown discussion.

You can just repost the photos you have there and we can lead you through the needed steps......

Mikey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Justin, start a new thread about your project in the projects section. There you can post more photos and anyone can look at them and help you out. This area you are in now, is mainly for introduction and welcome than full blown discussion.

Mikey
Yeah sorry this thread got off the rails.

·
9,136 Posts
Not a problem, it happens. Not to far down the path yet. Like I said we will get you started right!

Mikey

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome to the site. Glad to have you here...Nice project, its a good start, seen much worse starting points :)

·
Registered
15,333 Posts
Hello and welcome aboard.Your 57 can be fixed up,all it takes is plenty of TLC,skin a few knuckles,turn the wrenches,a good plan,some green bills,and plenty of backup help.Its doable.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.