Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Good luck with the project. There are many on this forum that learned/honed their restoration skills, including welding, by restoring their cars. There is nothing like learning by trial and error. Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Welcome Aboard!..You will find a wealth of information here (y)
I would look here on floor / floor pan & quarter panel replacement to see what's all involved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Justin, welcome. I just joined a little over a month ago - also in the Chicago suburbs. Just learn the ropes and the folks on this site are incredibly knowledgeable. Happy to lend a hand if you need it.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Hi there and welcome to Tri-five.com from New Zealand

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Welcome Justin! Although I moved to Tucson in '86, I was raised and worked for many years in and around the Chicago area.
Your 57 is very doable. Don't listen to the naysayers. It'll take a lot of work, but when you are done you'll appreciate all the work you put in to it for a long time. I got my 56 as a roller, took many years to get in othe road, but in 2 years I've put over 16,000 miles on it. It was worth it!

·
Premium Member
2,036 Posts
From what I have seen over the years, it is doable. The big questions are (and they are related) is finances and your skills. Paying someone to do just the body work and paint will likely be a minimum of $20k. More if you go with a top notch paint job. Then there is everything else. Obviously, the more work you do yourself, the more money you can save and you get the bonus of knowing you did most of it yourself. It is easy to get upside down in a project like this even doing some of the work yourself. But a lot folks do not care about that and even though it is not a "good investment" they have the joy of driving a shiny old Chevy. That is priceless.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Welcome to Tri-Five Forums. Van

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.