Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Tommy Lee Byrd, and I handle all of the photography, writing and social media for Coker Tire Company. Before you assume that I'm just a guy that sits behind a desk all day, I'd like to explain a little of my background, and let you know a little bit about our company.

I had actually already registered here with a personal account a couple years ago, but my job at Coker requires me to monitor some of the activity on forums and help folks with tire questions (or at least point them to one of our Customer Service Reps). So, I'm not really a new guy--just have a bit more of a purpose here than before.

As far as my background, I've been a car guy my whole life. I grew up with a body shop in my back yard, and my dad has always been into old cars. My dad and I still share a major interest in cars, and he's still cranking away in the body shop, while I've moved on from the dust and fumes. I don't have a TriFive (yet) but I'm on the hunt for a '55 two-door post that would make a great home for a dual-quad 409. I have too many projects as it is, but I hope I can make a TriFive the next on my list.

As for Coker Tire Company, it's the world's leading supplier of tires and wheels for collector vehicles and it's been in business since 1958. Our headquarters is in Chattanooga, Tennessee and we also have a new facility in City of Industry, California, which also houses our wheel manufacturing facility. Coker produces thousands of tires and wheels, many of which are applicable for TriFive's (restored or modernized). I'll do my best to keep you guys updated with our new products, and our special events, such as the Chattanooga Cruise In, Whitewall Nationals, Great Race and Coker Tire Challenge.

If there's anything I can do, please let me know and I'll do my best to help!

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Welcome to bowtie-trifive Tommy,

My 57 has the old school big & littles, 14 x 6 front wheels and 15 x 8 1/2 rear wheels. It is becoming difficult to find an matched set of performance radial tires with that configuration other than BFG TA Radials with RWL. What can Coker do...no RWL? It seems traditional tire manufactures are eliminating 14" tires and 15" tires availability is diminishing. The trend is toward 16, 17 and larger wheel/tire sizes. My 55 has 17s all around and finding performance tires for it is not a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

My 57 has the old school big & littles, 14 x 6 front wheels and 15 x 8 1/2 rear wheels. It is becoming difficult to find an matched set of performance radial tires with that configuration other than BFG TA Radials with RWL. What can Coker do...no RWL? It seems traditional tire manufactures are eliminating 14" tires and 15" tires availability is diminishing. The trend is toward 16, 17 and larger wheel/tire sizes. My 55 had 17s all around and finding tires for it is not a problem.
Yeah, 14's and 15's are getting tough to find, especially if you want a good quality tire. As for blackwall radials, that's not something that we focus on primarily, but my suggestion would be the BFG Radial T/A with the white letters turned to the inside. On a couple of my personal projects, I've turned the tires around, so the blackwall faces out, and then painted the white letters black so that you don't see them when you look under the car.

Here's a link to the sizes we have in the BFG Radial T/A line:

http://www.cokertire.com/brands/bf-goodrich-tires/bf-goodrich-t-a-radials.html

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
:sign0016: to bowtie-trifive from Florida.We are glad you are here.It`s time to put the barn find TV show that you sponsored back on the air.Us car guys love to see that stuff.Currently my friend Wayne Carini has about the only show that includes barn finds thats worthy of watching.Wayne is`nt necessarily a trifive or Muscle car fan and some would like to see that on TV.:sign0016:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts

My 57 has the old school big & littles, 14 x 6 front wheels and 15 x 8 1/2 rear wheels. It is becoming difficult to find an matched set of performance radial tires with that configuration other than BFG TA Radials with RWL. What can Coker do...no RWL? It seems traditional tire manufactures are eliminating 14" tires and 15" tires availability is diminishing.
Hankook and Kumho still make some 70-series tires in 14" and 15".

A while back I found some 15" Prodigy tires at Discount Tire in 70 (and I think 65) aspect ratios for my 55 sedan and my 82 pickup, but I don't see them listed anymore. ??? They are made by Yokohama, look good, and I have read nothing but good things about them. They also cost 30-40% less than BFG Radial T/As, which have really shot up in price lately. :)

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Welcome

:bowtieb:

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Hankook and Kumho still make some 70-series tires in 14" and 15".

A while back I found some 15" Prodigy tires at Discount Tire in 70 (and I think 65) aspect ratios for my 55 sedan and my 82 pickup, but I don't see them listed anymore. ??? They are made by Yokohama, look good, and I have read nothing but good things about them. They also cost 30-40% less than BFG Radial T/As, which have really shot up in price lately. :)
Thanks, MikeB. I already checked out Kumho recently, but I did not look at what Hankook has to offer.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
My name is Tommy Lee Byrd, and I handle all of the photography, writing and social media for Coker Tire Company. Before you assume that I'm just a guy that sits behind a desk all day, I'd like to explain a little of my background, and let you know a little bit about our company.

I had actually already registered here with a personal account a couple years ago, but my job at Coker requires me to monitor some of the activity on forums and help folks with tire questions (or at least point them to one of our Customer Service Reps). So, I'm not really a new guy--just have a bit more of a purpose here than before.

As far as my background, I've been a car guy my whole life. I grew up with a body shop in my back yard, and my dad has always been into old cars. My dad and I still share a major interest in cars, and he's still cranking away in the body shop, while I've moved on from the dust and fumes. I don't have a TriFive (yet) but I'm on the hunt for a '55 two-door post that would make a great home for a dual-quad 409. I have too many projects as it is, but I hope I can make a TriFive the next on my list.

As for Coker Tire Company, it's the world's leading supplier of tires and wheels for collector vehicles and it's been in business since 1958. Our headquarters is in Chattanooga, Tennessee and we also have a new facility in City of Industry, California, which also houses our wheel manufacturing facility. Coker produces thousands of tires and wheels, many of which are applicable for TriFive's (restored or modernized). I'll do my best to keep you guys updated with our new products, and our special events, such as the Chattanooga Cruise In, Whitewall Nationals, Great Race and Coker Tire Challenge.

If there's anything I can do, please let me know and I'll do my best to help!
Yep, Byrd's for real I see him and his Vette everywhere. He drives the wheels off it. I'll vouch for him. Welcome :flag6: Blake

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome Tommy Lee!

An actual Car Guy at a car tire company...that's a new one!

I run Coker "Indian" script tires on my 1947 Indian Chief. Coker drop shipped them right to my door, very quickly. They run nice... unless you throw it into a mountain road curve over 60 MPH...then they wiggle just enough remind you to respect the 400 lbs of American made steel below...and ride safely.

Good tires.

How about Tri5 Group radial discounts???

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.