Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm not expert...but it almost looks like the springs should be flipped around. They look up side down from here. Sorry I'm not much help.

·
Premium Member
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it loose and flipped it. It does look like it matches contours better on frame

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I took it loose and flipped it. It does look like it matches contours better on frame
Here's a picture of the backrest for Snobad. Please bear in mind that this frame has been shortened for the bucket seat conversion. It's the only picture I have that shows how the springs are attached. The folded end of the No-Sag springs extends past the lower edge of the frame, so I think you need to move the lower springs down to the next cross rib. The '56 backrests didn't have those tabs half way up, but the springs should go on top of them if at all possible. The original hole for the side support wire is usually distorted into an oval shape from wear, but you should be able to get a reference of it's location from the pic. The original spring wire is larger than the paper wrapped springs on the repo. The repo cages I've seen (and that's only one pair from Ciadella) were quite a bit thicker than the originals. We had to squeeze the heck out of them to get the covers to go on. Hope any of this helps. Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the spring pack assembled and then problem #2 showed up. The spring pack is almost double thickness of original at top. When I put on the foam kit the top bar is prominent under the cover. The moulded foam is pushed away from the top bar by about 2 inches. Jeez I had the cover hog ringed on but it has too much spring tension along top. This makes the foam not meet the top bar of frame

·
Premium Member
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am I supposed to put on a strip of foam across top bar of frame? This moulded foam kit from Danchuk has the 55-56 curve over at top

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Am I supposed to put on a strip of foam across top bar of frame? This moulded foam kit from Danchuk has the 55-56 curve over at top
As I mentioned before, the repo spring cage (pack) is way thicker than the original. You can clamp some of the springs together inside the cage to pre-squeeze the assembly together, and thin it out some. Before the foam goes on, it's very important to hog ring burlap over all the springs. This prevents the springs from cutting into the foam. At the top of the cage, a horizontal strip of burlap is used to pull the cage tighter to the frame. This also prevents the padding from falling down inside the cage. Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now it's making sense. I've spent all morning bending springs to thin the thickness down but it still doesn't get it enough. I used trunk carpet hog ringed to the assembly instead of burlap. I think I've decided to throw away the spring packs and build my own foam insert. I will have to sheetmetal the frame back so I can glue foam to it. Been measuring the cover and moulded foam widths. Think I'll get 2" high density for first layer, 2" medium density for second layer, and 1/2" sew foam for outer layer. The covers sides measure 4 1/2" wide where the seams are. The first two layers will equal 4" should I use one inch or half inch sew foam on outer?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I think 1/2" on the outer will be fine. You can use the higher density for the first 6" or 7" at the bottom of the 2nd layer if you want to build in some lumbar support.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts