Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Chevy Belair Corvette LT 1 drivetrain
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I need help with the id under my 56 2 Dr sedan. The party I bought it from said it is from a late 60 to early 70's Chevelle but I have my doubts. Someone else said it is from a S-10 pickup. The basics are 115 in wheelbase 59 in track front and rear. Measurements are approximate +/- 1/4 in. I have included pictures for reference. I would like to upgrade the suspension but need to know what parts to buy thanks in advance for your help.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
to buy,
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Bumper
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey all, I need help with the id under my 56 2 Dr sedan. The party I bought it from said it is from a late 60 to early 70's Chevelle but I have my doubts. Someone else said it is from a S-10 pickup. The basics are 115 in wheelbase 59 in track front and rear. Measurements are approximate +/- 1/4 in. I have included pictures for reference. I would like to upgrade the suspension but need to know what parts to buy thanks in advance for your help. View attachment 349211 to buy, View attachment 349207 View attachment 349208 View attachment 349209 View attachment 349210
S10 would be leaf spring. First thought seeing as it has the LT1 I thought 94-96 impala. Could be mid 70's gm A body or G body what bolt pattern on wheels and what style brake caliper would help ID

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
My guess is that it's a 90's Impala. Both the LT1 and the small 7.625" 10 bolt rear end are giveaways. That rearend wasn't used until the mid-70's but was used well into the 2000's, particularly in A bodies and small trucks, but it's definitely not a truck frame because it doesn't have leaf springs.

Are the wheels 5x5? Ditto on the brake calipers...that would help. You might be able to get a part number off of the rear end. Check this article...it has info on how to decode the rear end stamp number. History and Identification of Chevy 10 and 12 Bolt Chevy Differentials

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Spindles look like 2nd gen Camaro but that would be a clip. Or Chevelle front steer later 70's
I would dump that in a heartbeat and put a trifive frame under it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, it does have a 5x5 bolt pattern on the wheels. Unsure how to measure the calipers except to say that the best measurement I could come up with is 6 in. They are a single piston type. I'm including a picture if it helps. I'll try the rear end stamp to see if I can find anything there. Thanks again.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Spindles look like 2nd gen Camaro but that would be a clip. Or Chevelle front steer later 70's
I would dump that in a heartbeat and put a trifive frame under it.
Yeah, SLIM has a point. It appears as if the PO never finished it. He probably ran into some problems that you aren't necessarily aware of or anticipating. Just off the cuff, it doesn't appear that there's any sort of radiator mount on that crossbar at the front of the frame. That'll have to be built. Second, I'm just looking at the front body mounts underneath the firewall and those look, to put it lightly, not good. And who knows what else is going on with it, but that wouldn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I'd probably not spend the money on that frame unless you know it's done right.

Have you ever had the front clip on? I'm wondering if everything lines up correctly. You might also look at the body mounts underneath the body and see what they look like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the front clip for it but have not put them on. I was going to buy a 56 core support for it since the core support ties the fenders together. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to swap the frame out at this time. I have to roll with what I have for now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With the 5X5 bolt pattern wheels it's going to be a GM big body I would bet if you look for some cast dates you will find 94-96 dates being from Impala SS,Caprice or Buick Roadmaster. I remember seeing someone using these chassis under tri fives. You might Google for some info to make it a clean assembly since it's already there.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I have the front clip for it but have not put them on. I was going to buy a 56 core support for it since the core support ties the fenders together. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to swap the frame out at this time. I have to roll with what I have for now.
I think I'd test fit the front clip before you spend any money on suspension for that frame. If that means buying a core support that's probably not waster money since you'll need one anyway, but it's gonna need a mount. Hopefully that crossbar just needs the two bolt holes for the crossmember and you're good to go.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I found this thread that may be of interest to you. If you do indeed have that Impala A body frame, I really think you should consider trying to find a used trifive frame out there. They're not that expensive and by the time you spend the money to make it right with what really does look like an A body frame, you might be money ahead to just put a stock frame back under it. No reason you can't use the driveline in a different frame.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Impalas go both ways after 1977m I have seen both 5 x 4 3/4 and 5 on 5 bolt pattern. The 5 on 5 stuff was on hd applications or sport suspension.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found this thread that may be of interest to you. If you do indeed have that Impala A body frame, I really think you should consider trying to find a used trifive frame out there. They're not that expensive and by the time you spend the money to make it right with what really does look like an A body frame, you might be money ahead to just put a stock frame back under it. No reason you can't use the driveline in a different frame.

I'm really stumped now. I took a look at the thread you linked to but it says that there is a lot of work that needs to be done to the body to make the swap work. It also says that the frame rails would be visible below the rockers if the mods to the floor pan aren't done. I've attached pics of my vehicle showing how it sits on the frame and the floor pan that looks like the original, I could be wrong. Maybe whoever did the swap modified something else to make it work.
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood
Vehicle cover Vehicle Tire Car Wheel
White Hood Gas Human leg Vehicle door
Wood Circle Font Wire Pattern
Blue Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Rim
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Gas Rim Metal Auto part
Electrical wiring Gas Electrical supply Cable Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Those floorpans look stock to me as well.

I strongly believe that it's a B body frame which could be anything from 1977 to 1996. I think it's pretty likely to be a 90's Impala frame given the LT1 motor.

Take a look at the pictures in the following:

Instructions to remove body from frame (particularly post #19)

Those mounts under the firewall still give me a lot of pause. I'd closely inspect the rest of the body mounts to see if they look stable, because those front ones look pretty shaky to me.

Good luck...that looks like a big, complicated project to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm really stumped now. I took a look at the thread you linked to but it says that there is a lot of work that needs to be done to the body to make the swap work. It also says that the frame rails would be visible below the rockers if the mods to the floor pan aren't done. I've attached pics of my vehicle showing how it sits on the frame and the floor pan that looks like the original, I could be wrong. Maybe whoever did the swap modified something else to make it work. View attachment 349290 View attachment 349291 View attachment 349292 View attachment 349293 View attachment 349299 View attachment 349295 View attachment 349296 View attachment 349297 View attachment 349298
Those floorpans look stock to me as well.

I strongly believe that it's a B body frame which could be anything from 1977 to 1996. I think it's pretty likely to be a 90's Impala frame given the LT1 motor.

Take a look at the pictures in the following:

Instructions to remove body from frame (particularly post #19)

Those mounts under the firewall still give me a lot of pause. I'd closely inspect the rest of the body mounts to see if they look stable, because those front ones look pretty shaky to me.

Good luck...that looks like a big, complicated project to me.
Yep, looking at the pictures on that link you sent it is a 90's Caprice/Impala frame. I knew when I took the project on, it would take a lot of time/money. Thanks for the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts