Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the back story. Drove the 57 to work today, had no issues at all. Nice drive totaling about 76 miles round trip. Parked it at home and went to start it a few hours later. Car started right up but apparantly I didnt let it run long enough (still trying to get used to letting her run a few min before dropping her in gear.) Dropped it in reverse and she started to move and died. Now when I turn the key, I get all the dash lights, but no crank. Not even a click. I jumped the park lockout just to make sure that was not it, no change. Checked the battery cables thinking my ground might be funky. They look good. Any thoughts? I also checked the ignition fuse.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your connections at the started & the distributor....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

Will do, just confusing that it just happened. I am thinking a connection somewhere also. Thanks for the reply. :):)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I would start with a test light on the solenoid wire. The distributor has nothing to do with cranking. Test it at the starter. You already went around the neutral switch. If you get 12V at the starter with the key in the start position, not much else it could be except the starter solenoid died or the starter landed on a flat spot. Look at the headlights when you hit the key and make sure they stay fairly bright. If they go out, or almost go out it could be you lost the ground, or most of it anyway. A bad ground will still give some current flow, but not enough to hold any real load.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
No sense in not being thorough. Clean the battery terminals. Clean the connection at the solenoid. Could be the solenoid took a dump or the starter is jammed, hit it with a hammer a bit to see if it will dislodge.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,390 Posts
Vamp....Sure has all the symptoms of being a neutral safety switch problem or the associated wiring.....At the risk of asking a dumb question, did you jumper the two violet wires on the switch?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vamp....Sure has all the symptoms of being a neutral safety switch problem or the associated wiring.....At the risk of asking a dumb question, did you jumper the two violet wires on the switch?
Pops I completely understand you asking that question, I also thought out was the neutral switch, and the answer is yes jumped the violets. Thanks for checking sometimes it is the simple things we miss.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,390 Posts
Sometimes to isolate the problem I have used a remote start switch

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well as I am finding its normally the case it loooks like it was a combination of issues. Looks like the neutral lockout is indeed bad, but it also looks like the starter may have been stuck. Jumped the switch and got nothing. Forgot I had jumped it, tapped on the started and she fired right up. Moved her to her normal parking spot and shut her down, remembered the jumper and removed it. Not fire. Put the jumper back and she is right as rain. Looks like I will be replacing the neutral lockout after all. Thanks for all the assistance. You all are the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.