Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My name is Don and I am new to the site and I am also new to owning a Chevy Bel Air. About a month ago I purchased a 57 Chevy Bel Air. It was a personal transaction. Previous owner took amazing care of this vehicle and all it needed was an oil change and a new ignition switch as the current one would not lock and the car could be started without using the key. Car had NO issues at all prior to taking it to the garagae and I had ben driving it for the past month very regularly.

I took the vehicle to a local garage who does work on older vehicles and has a very good track record. I had an oil change and the new ignition switch installed. Upon getting the vehicle home, I quickly noticed that my radio, inside dome light and headlamps were ALL not working.

This WAS NOT an issue at all before. The car does have a generator and was upgraded to 12V. I am not a mechanic and not sure what other information may be important. Can someone please help me in trouble shooting why after the install of the new ignition switch would cause ALL of my interior and exterior lights not to work. Thank you so much. Don!

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,424 Posts
Welcome to TRI-FIVE!!!
It sounds like you have a bad connection on the red wire on the ignition switch. It feeds power to the headlights and fuse panel. Link to ignition switch. http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-7.gif It's the switch at the bottom of the page for left drive cars. It may be the plug is not on the back of the switch good, or the red wire terminal backed out of the plug when they pushed it on the switch.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
WELCOME

:sign0016:to trifive Don... Not sure why lights aren't working maybe a fuse? Fuse block located to left of steering wheel... Not sure what you ment when you said it was converted to 12 volt... Chevrolet has been 12 volt since 1955... :anim_25:with the new toy... Later, Dave

·
Registered
839 Posts
First off :sign0016: Don. You have found the greatest Tri five site around.
Ithink the reason the first switch wouldn't lock is, you may have had the wrong key. To get the switch out correctly you must have the right key .So it will go past the lock position.
I'm guessing that whom ever installed the switch. Didn't connect the wires right. You didn't say if you had a original style switch or not. The wiring on these cars is pretty simple. I'm sure that some one will post the fix for you. I would look under the dash and see if you have any wires hanging loose. If you do connect them to the on side of the switch.
:sign0016: Again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks Don and Dave for the SUPER fast replys. (Good to see another Don out there) Don is this something I can fix relatively easy myself or should I just wait to take it back to the garage that did the work? I want to learn to make repairs myself but with this being my new toy, I am not trusting myself. Thanks Don.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,424 Posts
Don, the hardest thing is getting to the back of the switch. You may be able to see it by laying under the dash. Are any of the other lights working? (brake lights, turn signals, ect.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lighting/Wiring Problem

Don...Just looked at it to verify. On the dash, both blinker lights work internally and externally. The oil and generator lights also light up on the dash. No dome light, no radio and no headlights or brakes lights. Thanks! Again... all of this was working fine prior to today and the installation of the new ignition switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wiring Problem SOLVED!!!

Don...your awesome!!! I managed to squueze under the steering column ( I am 6 foot 7) and sure enough the red wire connector was not pushed in all the way from the ignition switch. I took a long screw driver and pushed it on and BAM....ALL is right again. I can't thank you enough!!. Best Regards Don!!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Welcome Don, Guess you have already figured out that this is the site for info and fun with Trifives. Now let's see some pics of that new toy!!

7,082 Posts
WTG Don (Arcadon). You are the man. Welcomed other Don. This is what it's all about. :congrats: Lloyd

·
Registered
66,314 Posts
:hello: hi don and welcome. good to have you here. glad to see you got the help you needed and fixed your problem. :party0031:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,381 Posts
Don solves another electrical mystery :):congrats:

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
New 57

Glad you got it fixed, I was going to say take it back where you paid the folks and get them to make the job right with you. Welcome and this is a great site you will enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Well Done Don & Don!

:sign0016: to TriFive Don! You just experienced why this site is so awesome - super fast replys, excellent advice and great people! When you get a chance, how about some pictures of your '57? Have Fun!!:wavey:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Welcome Don and here's hoping all your problems can be fixed this easily! BTW Don is spot on with all the electrical gremlins with these cars, were lucky to have him!

Another Don!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the replys and the "Welcome":sign0016: messages. I loaded two pictures to my profile and used the file compressor. Below are the links. I hope this works.

A little about my new ride. Engine is a 283. Frame on restoration was completed 12 years ago. I love all versions of the tri-five's but prefer mine to be as close to stock as I can get it. This is my first vehicle I have owned in this class. So I feel VERY fortunate to have a vehicle of this caliber for my first go round. Feel free to ask any questions. I do not know much about the mechanical aspect but am looking forward to learning and I am sure if I mistate something you all will correct me which I welcome since I am a collector in training we will call it. Thanks again!. Links of my PICS are below. Let me know if you can't view them.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1858&pictureid=15721

http://www.trifive.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1858&pictureid=15720

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
That is one beautiful 57 you have there Don:tu Enjoy the toy... Later, Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts