Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 55 Belair I've been trying to get on the road. It's a 235 power glide car. All original besides the whole wiring harness I installed. The car always ran and started with the key before and after I installed the new harness. However I tried starting it the other day. I was cranking it for a little bit since the float bowl was empty (20 secs tops). I stopped, sprayed carb cleaner and tried to crank again and got nothing. When turning the key I get power but no click or anything. At this point the ballast resistor started smoking.... I let it sit. And tried again. I get nothing from turning the key but I starts right up if I jump the terminals on the starter. I bought a new ballast resistor but no change. So I get power with key on. But nothing if I crank it. However it starts if I jump the terminals. Also I tried shirting gears etc. still nothing. I've never messed with the neutral safety switch besides hooking up the new wiring. Think it's fried? Haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
653 Posts
go to the library and look at the wiring schematic to see the wiring going to the starter and ignition switch I think there might be a fusible link which may have burned up. but you can make voltage checks at different points in the wiring. also make sure you have good negatives from the battery to the frame ,body and motor. also check your solenoid it may be closing but the copper disk in side may be burned and not connecting. a real quick check you can do is pull the harness connector off the ignition switch and jump from the battery plug to the starter if the wiring is good it will crank and you have a bad switch if not then you will have to trace from the ignition start wire back to the starter and all components in between.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,270 Posts
sounds like a bad ign switch or the ignition wire fell off.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Might be the starter solenoid. There are two wires attached to it. The purple wire attaches to the start terminal and a yellow wire attaches to the other terminal and runs to the positive coil lead after the ballast resistor. The yellow wire provides a full 12 volts only when the starter is engaged. and after starting the ballast resistor reduces voltage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I didn't make it clear but I installed a new Haywire harness for the full car. After installation it still started with the key. Until the other day. My ignition still gives power just when I turn the key to crank it does nothing. However if you jump the starter the car cranks and runs good. I made sure ignition 1 and 2 are wired correct to opposite sides of the resistor. Maybe my ignition did go out. Or the neutral safety switch died. Gotta play with her today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.