Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traveling home today on a 40 mile stretch of hilly road the transmission started to up and down shift mutable times like trying to find the correct gear to be in , shifted up and down at speed over 60 m.p.h. and then on a steeper hill when giving it more gas to get up the hill a cloud of smoke come from the rear of the car and could smell burnt oil ? slowed down to around 50 m.p.h. and things got back to normal. In town it shifts normal at low speed but when I accelerate it keeps up and down shifting . Can't find any oil leaks but can still smell burnt oil . What could be the cause the transmission to be erratic in shifting ? any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I need to get this taken care of.
Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
First thing I'd do is check the fluid level (and smell it).. and then do a fluid/filter change if it warranted... Lots better than a trans rebuild if it works!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
When was the last time you had the car out. I am with BamaNomad fluid/filter change may be in order.

Later,
Kev

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Purchased rebuilt transmission from central transmission 2 1/2 years ago and had it installed with all new trans fluid. As I don't drive the car everyday I only have a little over 2000 miles since installed. All fluids are all at the correct level .
What tells the transmission when it's time to up or down shift ? Keep thinking .
p.s. Trans fluid does not smelled burnt.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Fluid pressure tells the transmission when to up or downshift, but rpm's will also have an effect on it. Odd that it suddenly started doing this, and I wonder if the TV cable adjustment somehow slipped?
I'd get it to a transmission shop soon to check the adjustment settings, and see if they find the glitch. Might be something simple, but if you wait it could get expensive.

·
Registered
995 Posts
What is the rear end ratio? I ask because "Bow Tie Overdrives" (BTO) sold me their 200 4R Level 2 (450 hp/500 ft lbs tq). BTO recommended 3.73 axle ratio and aluminum radiator. BTO demanded a trans temp gauge and trans oil pressure gauge. To qualify for their warranty meant going on a maiden voyage with a cell phone following their instructions/questions. BTO puts you through a lot of hoops. They tell you when to shift through the gears and ask the trans pressure readings and transmission temperature, the speed and RPM's. They are gathering data to compare it to the data they recorded before the 200 4R left their warehouse. They test every 200 4R before it leaves their facility. It is a pain, but is worth the peace of mind you get for complying. I passed with flying colors and was approved for the warranty. My car was a 68 Camaro with 3.43 gears. It would shift alot from overdrive to drive on country roads around 45-50 mph. Wish I had 3.73 gears. Easy solution was to leave it in Drive and it performed great.Tires 225/60 x 15.

·
Registered
995 Posts
1971BB427 made a very good point when he mentioned "I wonder if the TV cable has slipped". Bow Tie Overdrive warned me if the TV cable is not set properly or not set at all it can fry your 200 4R in two blocks!!! I can't find their instructions on this, but I want to say you pull the TV cable and set the gap at 5/16 of an inch? Do check because it is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL. Bow Tie Overdrive is in Hesparia, Ca.

·
Registered
1955 210 5.3 carb ls swap with a 700r4
153 Posts
Sounds like fluid level to me happened on my 700r4 when the level was low

1 - 8 of 8 Posts