Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 57 210 I installed CPP 500 box. I Bought a 32 inch tilt column.

I bolted the column to the DD rag joint but when I went to install the column
below the gauge cluster it would not fit. The tilt part of the column did not clear the gauge cluster. I need about an 1 to 1 1/4 inches more to clear the tilt section of the column. I moved the rag joint out as far as I want to go on the steering box.

Has anyone else ran into this problem??

If so what was your solution?? Please let me know.....Tom

I did re-measure the column and it is a true 32 inches.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
On my 57 210 I installed CPP 500 box. I Bought a 32 inch tilt column.

I bolted the column to the DD rag joint but when I went to install the column
below the gauge cluster it would not fit. The tilt part of the column did not clear the gauge cluster. I need about an 1 to 1 1/4 inches more to clear the tilt section of the column. I moved the rag joint out as far as I want to go on the steering box.

Has anyone else ran into this problem??

If so what was your solution?? Please let me know.....Tom

I did re-measure the column and it is a true 32 inches.
Ididit makes a retro column specifically for the 57 Chevy. I don't know what the length is but mine fit correctly. Flaming River also makes a 57 specific column I believe.:bowtier:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
IDIDIT makes a DD universal joint that is used instead of rag joint and is longer overall than a rag. maybe long enough for your application. Go to their web site and look . also you can call them and talk to someone about your problem ,,, great people to talk to ......

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,883 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear but I cut off part of the gauge cluster to clear the Monte Carlo tilt column on my 57. I did not have a concern as I have two more panels, but I no longer have any stock columns, good day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.