Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Help to buy a 57

983 views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  bamiller 
#1 ·
I've found this, my next candidate, to me it looks perfect, just the color combination I've been looking:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/chevrolet/bel_air/1586040.html

But when I sent some questions to the seller about the car he told me this that worries me a bit:
"Underside of the car is good. The car was undercoated prior to my purchasing it. Two small rust spots on the bottom of the car are a chronic problem, but an easy repair. The partt for this repair are about $150.00 US. These spots do not effect the structure of the car."

I've sent a mail asking for more info of these "rust spots", mainly does the repair mean welding or just replacing some parts? but haven't received an answer yet. Mostly I'm worried that if there are these two rust spots, who knows what else might be cooking somewhere hidden. Am I worrying too much?

What do you guys think, is this car worth ~$39,000, or actually it will be around $53,000 after the shipping and taxes :(

But anyway if we come to that point that i'm considering buying this car I would like the car to be inspected before buying and shipping it to Finland, would there be some kind soul here near Dayton Ohio who would do me a huge favor and check this car for me? I'd be happy to compensate the gas and other expenses. If not, then I need to find some company that does inspections on classic cars.

See less See more
#2 ·
my favorite color combination too. for that kind of money I would get a pro to do an inspection and report. he did mention about rust spots, which is a good thing on his part. it looks great to me too. :anim_25:

#3 ·
Demands a really good look.

Your purchase plan is sound. Stick to it. For that kind of investment, it would be wise to have two inspections. Rust is expensive. Dayton is in the rust belt, and it is hard to verify whereabouts the car has lived it's life.

Or grab a jumbo jet and inspect it yourself.

If one deal doesn't work out, that just means there is a better one coming.

:anim_25:

#13 ·
I'd want to see the rear wheel wells inside the trunk. Many rust belt cars are rotted or patched where the wheel well meets the body.
Get a good inspection!:anim_25:

#15 ·
Got an answer from the seller to my query about the rust spots, he said that following parts need to be replaced:
From classicchevy.com
"Chevy Left Center Long Straight Body Brace End, 1955-1957 Part # 31-151 $49.00"

And he again said that the car is in very good shape except for these two spots.

Now I'm torn between checking this car or just keep on looking.

I'll think I'll call for that car in ebay Misuraco wrote about.

And thanks for all the help, this site is just amazing!

#17 ·

I have two 57s one 210 and one convertible I looked at my 210 when I bought it the rag I sent a inspector big mistake for me he said the car was an 8 and it was a 4 when it arrived spend over twenty grand on body and paint and motor rebuild. trust who you r sending or do it your self. good luck with the car

#19 ·
Yep I've decided to keep on looking for the dream car and pass this one.

I know California cars are notorius for being rust free, are there other areas I should look for? Of course you can't know where the car has been in the past but if the current owner has owned the car for atleast few years then the problems should be visible already right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.