Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a couple of 235's that a guy has for sell. From the photos I can read the head casting numbers of 3836848 GM4 and 3836848 GM9. The stamped number TI0I0A is clear on the block with the GM4 marking on the head. The other block has a stamped number F2?5?. I can't read all of the digits. Neither of the two block casting numbers are visible in the photos.

Is there anyway to identify the year of manufacture from this info? Both blocks are setup for the front corner mounts. The one with the GM9 marking on the head also has bosses for the 3 bolt side mount. Would that identify it as a service motor or truck motor? One of the sites I visited said that the 235's from 58-62 had both sets of tapped holes for the motor mounts. Unfortunately, some of the sites offer contradictory information.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
12,074 Posts
The 848 head entered service on the passenger car line in 56. Assuming the heads and blocks are a matched set, these are going to be 56 and up motors. The only way to tell the year manufacturer is to get the casting date off the blocks. That being said, 848 head with just the front corner mounts, assuming the head and block go together are 56-57. 848 head and side mounts, regardless of whether they have front corner mounts or not are going to be 58 and up, possibly service replacement.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the string T1010A shed any light on the subject? T is for Tonowanda, A is a std. shift trans., but what would the 1010 represent? Oct 10? My '55 235 has the number 55 cast in around the starter area. Do later year 235 engines have the year cast in them as well? Anyone know what the GM9 means? Would that be the production line?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts