Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to install vintage air dash ducts in my PAINTED & FINISHED 57 Nomad dash....They require 2 1/2" holes drilled into the dash...any advice on this install..I don't want to screw this up....I have a hole saw with a longer 1/4" drill bit ready to go...Thanks :)

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I put AC vents in my painted 57 and used a 3 inch hole saw. Directions I've seen call for a 3 1/4. Do you have the templates for determining were to cut?
You do not need a long guide drill, once the hole saw starts cutting the drill is just hanging out behind the dash. There is nothing for it to guide at that point.
The sizes I refer to are for the original style vents.
Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No template...Thanks for the pic..any chance of a pic from driver's side?? I have kick panels w/ speakers & that caused the chezzee plastic duct (on driver's side) not to fit....what side of the emerency brake handle did you put the a/c duct... to the left seems tight...more room on right.Thanks:):)

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Enlarge this until the hole measures correctly and it should work. If this doesn't work I have a full size paper copy I could mail, pm me if you want.
Jim

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
bob, are you trying to install some Vintage Air vents or stock reproduction vents? The stuff that Jim's showing you is for the repro's, which are bigger than you described.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I put AC vents in my painted 57 and used a 3 inch hole saw. Directions I've seen call for a 3 1/4. Do you have the templates for determining were to cut?
You do not need a long guide drill, once the hole saw starts cutting the drill is just hanging out behind the dash. There is nothing for it to guide at that point.
The sizes I refer to are for the original style vents.Jim

Yes they are.
Jim

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
You're probably on your own for templates and location with the smaller vents.

Are the vents made for a flat surface, or for a curved/angled surface? You'll need to "aim" your hole saw appropriately depending on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts