Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and was trying to figure out if the best (easiest) way to change the plugs in my 57 283 (all stock and original) would be from the top or the bottom. It still has the metal guard running above the plugs. Also, what plugs would probably be best, it a pretty well worn 283 2 barrel that smokes. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
I did a search and was trying to figure out if the best (easiest) way to change the plugs in my 57 283 (all stock and original) would be from the top or the bottom. It still has the metal guard running above the plugs. Also, what plugs would probably be best, it a pretty well worn 283 2 barrel that smokes. Thanks.
Just dig right in, go from top, and tak your time, nothing is easy, and especially when u say motor still has the metal guards @ each plug :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Tools?

3/8 flex head rachet, 2" extension and spark plug socket.
AND care. heat shields can cut pretty easily. the orignal knuckle buster.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
It's a lot easier if you take the fenders off! :happy0030:

That's what I did with this one. They were in there so tight I don't know if I could have gotten some of them out without breaking them.

Of course then you have to put the fenders back on. :)

Don

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Put a little anti-seize on the threads of the new plugs before installing them. Dave

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hello i always go in from the top,But another trick i use on other cars is take the wheel off and go in from the side with a extension,it works saves nuckles, GOOD LUCK RICH.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
spark plugs

Not an expert on this but I found that from the under the car was real easy. More leverage I found. It also gives you a chance to clean things up when you are underneath the car.

I was also recommended Champion plugs. RJ14yc or RJ12yc. I think they were about $1.20 each at Napa..

Peter

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
die electric grease

Put a little anti-seize on the threads of the new plugs before installing them. Dave
Put al little dieelectric grease on the inside of the plug boots.helps you get them off after thousands of miles . Also put it in your turn signal bulbs to keep them from rustin to plug. You can get the grease at Advance Auto Parts.
Personally I wouldn't use a Champion plug even if they were GIVEN to me. I blew the porcelin loose in 1 plug in each of 2 new consecutive sets. It also seems to that Hemi cars had to change plugs often at the drag strips back in the day. my personal choice is Autolite.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the car has been sitting for about 3 years without being started, should i spray screw loose or wd40 into spark plug holes or have i heard wrong? thanks sorry about the hijack.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I agree with "56owner" on the plugs. I've had nothing but problems with those plugs. I wouldn't use them if they were given to me either. Some love them, but I don't know why. Autolight are my favorite, but AC's I found to be Ok also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I put AC plugs in my 56 265 V8 when getting the car moving again. The engine was worn out and she was blowing blue smoke too. The ACs kept giving me trouble. After replacing them with more ACs and still continuing problems, I switched to NGK's BR6S. It ran much better. The NGK's have not rusted up on the exterior like the AC's. I was told to go to a "marine grade" to eliminate the rusting problem on AC's. I'm sticking with the NGKs. After I rebuilt the engine I put back in the NGKs I used to replace the AC plugs. She runs even better!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts