Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Need some help diagnosing this: I hear a loud ticking from the right-side valve cover that is intermittent when the 350 idles, cold or hot. It's constant when in gear and under acceleration. The car has good oil pressure and runs well. Is this a rocker arm or lifter issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
This could be caused by a number of things. Could be a worn rocker arm, Broken spring, rocker arm stud pulling out, loose rocker sometimes due to a worn rocker nut, bent push rod, worn or clogged lifter, or a worn cam lobe. Your going to have to remove the Valve cover to begin to diagnose this. Good luck.

Don

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
Guys,

Need some help diagnosing this: I hear a loud ticking from the right-side valve cover that is intermittent when the 350 idles, cold or hot. It's constant when in gear and under acceleration. The car has good oil pressure and runs well. Is this a rocker arm or lifter issue? Thanks!
have u adjusted the valves lately, sounds like upper valve train noise, <rocker> ? Id go thru and look at and adjust each :anim_25:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randy,

I think this engine has hydralic lifters, but not sure. Do hydralics need to be adjusted?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
If it's intermittent, I'd have to say it's a weak lifter. But like Don suggested, get the cover off and start there.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,366 Posts
Husker....Check for an exhaust leak as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty sure it's not an exhaust leak but it's always good to check the 'easy stuff' first...

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, thanks for all your help! Sticking to the addage about trying the easy and cheap things first, I checked the header bolts and found them all loose! Tightened them all up and the noise is gone; it sure sounded like a lifter but thank God it wasn't...

Tony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts