Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some opinions on gettin new wheels for my 55. as of now i have 18*8 up front and 20*10 rear . im thinkin of droppin down to 15's by 7 3.5 bs up front and 15*8 4.5 bs rear, i just cant decide which rim to pick and not sure about tire sizes either. what do u guys think. and what sizes would you guys run if this was your car. im droppin to 15's so i can get more meat on the rear.thanks in advance. car is lowered with 2" drop spindles and 1" cut coil. and rear is 3" block..
my car right now

the wheels im thinking of gettin . welds pro star or billet speicalties

·
Registered
398 Posts
My self, I like the Billet Specialties. The Weld's are nice but too common. Your 55 is not a "common" car. It deserves a wheel that not to many others have.

·
Registered
164 Posts
In my humble opinion the wheels and tires you have now are a funny proportion to the '55.

I think you need a little more tire sidewall and a little less wheel.

It's all about proportion and the proportions are off now.

Maybe 16's and 18's or 16's all around.

Just my opinion, although I am a graphic designer by trade, so proportions, the relationship between shapes, is important to me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think the car looks really good the way it is. What size tire are you running in the rear? How much "meat" are you looking for in the back?

7,082 Posts
In my humble opinion the wheels and tires you have now are a funny proportion to the '55.

Must agree. All about proportion. Do not think the rubber band tires look good on Trivies. Know it is the trend, just do not like the look. If that is your thing, jump on it. Lloyd :shakehands:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts

IMO.. You are making the right decision by changing over to 15" rims.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the car looks really good the way it is. What size tire are you running in the rear? How much "meat" are you looking for in the back?
rear tires are pretty thin as u can see, im thinking about anywhere from 50-70 series tires for rear.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im looking for almost this kind of set up a more hot rod look.+ I need to grip more on the rear so means more rubber for me. im just not sure what size this guy has on his 55.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Look like 50 series, he might also have a spring pocket kit, the rubber looks pretty wide. This is what I putting in my 55 (Mickey Thompson, N50-15, 15 inch American Torque Thrust), I am going to use a rear spring pocket kit. Must! with my tires. If you rear suspension is stock, you might find some tire wheel charts, that are on the site here that might help. A long time ago back in the early 80s, I was running this car with a L60-15. Stock rear spring set up with the rear quarter panel lip rolled in, barely fit but worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look like 50 series, he might also have a spring pocket kit, the rubber looks pretty wide. This is what I putting in my 55 (Mickey Thompson, N50-15, 15 inch American Torque Thrust), I am going to use a rear spring pocket kit. Must! with my tires. If you rear suspension is stock, you might find some tire wheel charts, that are on the site here that might help. A long time ago back in the early 80s, I was running this car with a L60-15. Stock rear spring set up with the rear quarter panel lip rolled in, barely fit but worked.
nice wheels and wow those are wide a$$ tires :tu

1 - 18 of 18 Posts