Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
putting a small block 350 in with a 671 blower and turbo 400 trans should the motor come 3/4 forward running tall valve covers

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
The engine either needs to move forward or the firewall needs to be massaged or the tall valve covers, may, and the distributor, will, if you are a using large cap h.e.i., interfere with installation.

I have tall valve covers on the '55 with engine in the stock position and they are very tight to the firewall and it takes some wiggling around to install or remove them especially on the drivers side. Having a blower also would more than likely interfere with installation or removal of the valve covers in such tight confines.
Amazing how much room you gain by moving the engine forward just 3/4''.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
putting a small block 350 in with a 671 blower and turbo 400 trans should the motor come 3/4 forward running tall valve covers
I put a 406 sbc with 671 blower into my '57 Belair and didn't move the engine at all. I used the front motor mounts, bell housing mounts and transmission cross member to secure the drive train. I didn't use the tall valve covers. I used the repro Corvette valve covers. Had then off several times and it was never a problem. Where it is tight though, will be the distributor. I used a Mallory distr. with a small cap. It was very tight back there. Not much room to wiggle around in. I did change the spark plug wires once and it wasn't the easiest job I ever did. I could remove the cap if I had to. I was also able to reattach the vacuum wiper motor without hitting anything. I'm not sure a large cap distributor would fit without hitting the firewall. I never owned tall valve covers so I can't speak for them. Me personally, I would avoid moving the motor if it was at all possible. Just my opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts