Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am putting a new grille, tie bar and side and bottom frames on my 55 Chevy Bel air. The grille is in but I can’t slip my tie bar under the grille. It hits into two of the grids on the grille so the holes do not line up. It’s where the curve at the center of the tie bar that giving me the problem. On the left and right side of the curve hits into the grid on the grille. Looked at the old ones and they seem to be the same. Can’t figure this out, anyone know what I’m doing wrong. Thanks!!

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,031 Posts
It may be the new tie bar is not made right. Check it against an OEM one, and see if it clears.

Mikey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may be the new tie bar is not made right. Check it against an OEM one, and see if it clears.

Mikey
The old grille and tie bar are still attached ( easier to remove hole due to the rivets) I’ve held it up the best I can and it seems the same. I’m thinking I might have to grind the fins down that are not allowing the tie bar to fit. Hate to do that to a brand new grille. I’m hoping I get better advice. Thanks!!!!!!

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,167 Posts
The old grille and tie bar are still attached ( easier to remove hole due to the rivets) I’ve held it up the best I can and it seems the same. I’m thinking I might have to grind the fins down that are not allowing the tie bar to fit. Hate to do that to a brand new grille. I’m hoping I get better advice. Thanks!!!!!!
I hope I'm pictureing the problem right. Is the edge of the grill bent down (maybe in shipment) that is closing the gap between the fin and the top edge, so the tie bar won't slip between them?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Whenever I do this job I have to install the tie bar onto the grille then install it as one. It's also better to loosen all the hardware for the front of the fenders to spread them apart.
Todd

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,857 Posts
In my old CCI tech article (attached), I found this...Hope it helps you

"Add the two sides (trim) and bottom trim to the grille. BUT DO NOT put the tie bar on until the end and the grille is in place and fastened down. THAT is the trick including a little bit of cussing and hole drilling"

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope I'm pictureing the problem right. Is the edge of the grill bent down (maybe in shipment) that is closing the gap between the fin and the top edge, so the tie bar won't slip between them?
The curve of the tie bar (where you would slip hand in) is hitting one of the fins. That’s not allowing the rest of the tie bar from slipping into the groves

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The curve of the tie bar (where you would slip hand in) is hitting one of the fins. That’s not allowing the rest of the tie bar from slipping into the groves
Grooves not groves. Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts