Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice the steering components touching the headers in two places. Guess I'll take the header down and hammer it out.
The second one is a real pita. The sump outside length is 9". I need a oil pan with a 7" sump bottom. Dipstick is on the right. I need to get that engine number first. That's another day as i need to drop the a/c compressor. Wheel is turned to the right. Righ now, I don't know if I have full steering function.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Not sure how much room you have between that interfering down tube and it’s neighbor, but it might be possible to cut it loose from the head flange, push it in farther and reweld/ grind flush on the head side.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,792 Posts
Max....For the oil pan clearance (maybe the steering linkage as well) you can use the stock oil pan and a center link lowering kit from Steve Pratt at Authentic Automotive This kit includes a Power Steering idler arm, and P/S pitman arm. Also, included are the ball stud and seats that are used with the stock P/S control valve.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Max....For the oil pan clearance (maybe the steering linkage as well) you can use the stock oil pan and a center link lowering kit from Steve Pratt at Authentic Automotive This kit includes a Power Steering idler arm, and P/S pitman arm. Also, included are the ball stud and seats that are used with the stock P/S control valve.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

·
50,792 Posts
Thing is I know of a Gen I pan that will work, but it has the dipstick on the driver's side....Also, know of a pan (86 up with one-piece rear seal) that will clear....Not knowing what year you have is difficult.

·
Registered
36,376 Posts
For myself, I would just find a pan that will clear the steering linkage. They are out there. Unfortunately I don't have a specific pan I can recommend.

What headers are those? Are they for a 55-57 car or something else? I'd say there's a strong hunch they are not.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For myself, I would just find a pan that will clear the steering linkage. They are out there. Unfortunately I don't have a specific pan I can recommend.

What headers are those? Are they for a 55-57 car or something else? I'd say there's a strong hunch they are not.
I don't know what the name or brand of headers. Wish I knew that myself. Are there specific headers that i could buy to fix this issue?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thing is I know of a Gen I pan that will work, but it has the dipstick on the driver's side....Also, know of a pan (86 up with one-piece rear seal) that will clear....Not knowing what year you have is difficult.
The dipstick is on the drivers side. I will be getting that engine number by next week. Then will have a better hold of what I would need.

·
50,792 Posts
The dipstick is on the drivers side. I will be getting that engine number by next week. Then will have a better hold of what I would need.
Doesn't make sense Max...In this thread you said that the dip stick is on the passenger's side:

I need a oil pan where the sump length is 7 inches. Mine is 9 inches and it interferes with my tie rod. Dip stick is on the passenger side.
IF your dip stick is on the driver's side, you can use the oil pan from Dorman: Dorman 264-104 Dorman Oil Pans | Summit Racing

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't make sense Max...In this thread you said that the dip stick is on the passenger's side:

IF your dip stick is on the driver's side, you can use the oil pan from Dorman: Dorman 264-104 Dorman Oil Pans | Summit Racing

Yes I did. My mistake. I just put some transmission fluid in and that's on the passenger side. Had that stuck in my mind. So that's the smaller pan. Wonder what gasket to get. Guess i won't know till i take it off. Thanks for the link and part number. That will save me time. Trifive comes through again. 👍

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Righ now, I don't know if I have full steering function.
Look to see if the steer arm stop is hitting the a arm stop....

Reactions: Pops @ Tri-5.com

·
50,792 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I don't know what the name or brand of headers. Wish I knew that myself. Are there specific headers that i could buy to fix this issue?
Yes, yes there are. There's a header thread sticky here: Headers Application & Fitment Chart

Long story short, a good set of budget coated headers are the Flow Tecs. After that you have a lot of choices depending on your car. Hooker 2112, Dougs D353, Earl Williams, as well as a number of 3/4 length choices (Patriot for example).

Change the headers before you mess with the steering linkage.

Oil pan issue is easy peasy...just swap it. Use the one piece gasket Pops recommended and I highly suggest pan studs (instead of bolts)...both will make your life much easier when you're replacing the pan on your back ;) Ask me how I know!

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
7,526 Posts
Yes I did. My mistake. I just put some transmission fluid in and that's on the passenger side. Had that stuck in my mind. So that's the smaller pan. Wonder what gasket to get. Guess i won't know till i take it off. Thanks for the link and part number. That will save me time. Trifive comes through again. 👍
Max, the passenger side is the right side, unless you are from down under. You determine right or left as if you were in the drivers seat, not in front of the car.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Max, the passenger side is the right side, unless you are from down under. You determine right or left as if you were in the drivers seat, not in front of the car.
Oops. My mind ain't what it use to be. 😀

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
50,792 Posts
Yes....AS long as your dipstick is on the driver's side, you are good to go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts