Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am going to try to attach some photos of my new "adoption"...hope this works! 57 210 post 2dr. frame is coming out first, to be blasted and start with the new susp. Am considering TCI's rear kit which (which moves the springs in and allows for wider tires), and maybe Dutchman's complete front kit with newer 600 type ps box. I've never driven a tri-five..is the stock front suspension really that bad? Any suggestions on any of this would be greatly appreciated! Buildin' the dream...

57 chev 004.jpg

57 chev 011.jpg

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I did the rear spring kit from East Coast Chevy. I ended up rebuilding both rear corners of my chassis. I put the front disc brake kit on and a sway bar. I wont get to drive it for a few more years.
Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Last year, I rebuilt my entire front end with all new components that I bought from CPP (Classic Performance Products). Everything from dropped spindles, to power front disk brakes, power steering, etc. The PS box is called a 500 series, but I think it's quite similar to the 600 you referenced. It all went in very easy, and I'm very happy with it. At the same time, I bought an ididit column and steering wheel from another distributor. The whole set up went in easily, on jack stands, with hand tools, in my one car garage. I would definitely recommend it.

John

·
Administrator
49,373 Posts
I`d definitly do a few things different if i could go back on mine. Probably the most significant would be tubular a-frames, and i think i`d have powder coated my frame instead of painting it. As far as the rear end i left mine stock with the exception of a shock bar and sway bar. If you are going to add discs to the front you may want to do some reinforcing of one area prone to splitting out, i`ll try to find a pic of that.
Terry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks....I see the pic but...whats a cross over? Why the regret for not powder coating? Nice car BTW.

Dave..what do you think of the west coast kit so far? Is notching the frame part of the deal with that?

Thanks for all the help,

Dave

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Yes you must notch the frame to have the place for the shackles and the ends of the spring to sit. Gained about 3 1/2 inches on each side to be able to run wider tires. My initial reason for doing it was that my frame had rot at the right front spring hanger and by installing the box in the rail it helped to strengthen the area. When I do the floors I will do a mini tub to the wheel well. Good site to check is: www.57rustbucket.com . I added the shock crossmember and front disc brakes and sway bar.
Dave

Attachments

·
Administrator
49,373 Posts
The cross under is the frame that runs under the engine. A s far as powder coating i just have decided that it`s a harder more durable way to make the frame look good.
Terry

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey Dave
I just finished putting TCI's four link kit on my 55 frame. It was about $300 more then the relocator kit. Was not hard to install just some measuring and welding. I went with this set up because I didn't want to cut into my frame or notch it, plus I like the looks of the four link. As soon as I figure out how to put pictures on here i will post them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
John, your thumb nail wont expand for me. I had found that the frame was rotten at the right front spring hanger. I figured that the box for the front mount would strengthen the frame in that area. That was my primary reason for the relocating kit. I ended up replacing about 5 feet of the bottom of the rail and 5 feet of 1 1/2 inch up the side of the rail.
Dave

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts