Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming home this weekend... FINALLY!! Alot of the sanding was already done and dissassembly started, but she's all there and all in great shape, so shouldn't be very hard to finish sand the 'ol girl and start the priming process. There are a couple spot's that have some rust but not very bad, and not complete metal loss either. Interior is black diamond style tuck everywhere, all gauges are complete and work, ( I shouldn't even have to replace the glass cover) So here we go, 20 year's worth of waiting and I've finally got one. More to come guy's

Attachments

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Nice job so far...by the way, that looks like a great shady spot to be working!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's guy's. She's going to be coming along quickly if I can make the time. I plan to drive her to my dad's place over Christmas.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Grats on what is shaping up to be one sweet honey of a car. What color(s) and type of paint are you thinking of for the exterior?

Steve

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I'm hoping to drive mine around the block by christmas! Actually, if all goes well, maybe I can get to a cruise or a show or a club meeting or something before christmas....if we didn't set goals we'd never get anything done, right?!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Newbie said:
Grats on what is shaping up to be one sweet honey of a car. What color(s) and type of paint are you thinking of for the exterior?

Steve
Thank's Steve,
Color for the exterior ought to be gunmetal grey metallic pearl for the main body with the roof, upper 1/4, and tail Ivory white in the Bel Air scheme. All paint will be Dupont, my shop uses that exclusively and I'm the most familiar with it. Interior metal will be painted the gunmetal, and interior upholstery will be grey trimmed with black. I've got a set of the Torque Thrust wheels for her right now in 14" but that may change to 15" before everything is said and done.

Dale

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1957chevy said:
I'm hoping to drive mine around the block by christmas! Actually, if all goes well, maybe I can get to a cruise or a show or a club meeting or something before christmas....if we didn't set goals we'd never get anything done, right?!
Your exactly right 1957Chevy, gotta push ourselves some time... Right now though I don't have anything major booked into the shop, just a couple small job's like an interior rebuild on a 911 Porsche, some repair work on a Corvette, and a tranny swap on a Bronco. Amazing how friend's turn a custom paint shop into a mechanic shop for ya. But, they need the help and don't really trust anyone else so I'm there and won't turn them away. With the slow season pretty much here though I really hope to have her body work complete and into primer by the end of September. The hardest part will be the drivetrain. She's already set up for a small block and has complete exhaust from header's back.
Good luck on your goal too my friend... Maybe we ought to set up a support hotline for Tri-Five build's, "Call a friend for motivation when you slow down or get weak" type of deal... LOL

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
:D I like the hotline idea!:D

I use this forum (and others) to give me a kick in the butt every once in a while....just reading about other projects gives me some motivation to keep at it even when I'm not all that enthusiastic!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chevman57 said:
Dale if you add disc brakes you will need to go to at least 15" wheels. I have some 14" rollers on mine right now and only have about 3/16 clearance.
Terry
I do plan on adding disc brakes, but I have a set of Torque Thrust 14" that used to be on a Camaro, they won't work? If not, I'll jump to 15" and put Cragar SS mag's on. Thank's for the advice Chevman57, any advice/help/input is very welcome indeed on this 'ol girl.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1957chevy said:
:D I like the hotline idea!:D

I use this forum (and others) to give me a kick in the butt every once in a while....just reading about other projects gives me some motivation to keep at it even when I'm not all that enthusiastic!

Well, figured there's support group's for everything else.... Hi, My name's Dale, and I've got an obsession with my Tri- Five....:D My wife think's I'm asleep when I close my eye's to invision the car better. I find myself trying to form Bel Air script out of my chicken noodle soup. The list goes on and on.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
But when you start stashing parts in your favorite hiding places, then denying that you have any parts, then you know you need a 12-step program!

My wife simply thinks I'm nuts....she's right, nut's about my car!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I need the financial backer to get my parts for me. I just keep hoping for overtime. Thats where the $$$ will come from. I need the floors and all supports along with inner fender wells and wheel houses. And the list just keeps growing .
Dave

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
If the TT`s were on a car with discs then i`d sure give it a try. I bought parts up for severeal years before i really got started back to work on my 57, and most of the time my wife never knew i was buying anything. Until about 2yrs ago she asked point blank how much i`d spent in the last few months, after i told her she never has asked again. I don`t know who it made the sickest, her or me. haha
Terry

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
My wife seem's to be as enthusiastic as I am about the build of this car. Even though there seem's to be a major decision about to be made. I'm thinking about going ahead and pulling the body in order to do a frame off on the 55. She doesn't really need it. I've been under her already and she's in real good shape, but, I'm wanting to do this car complete and not cut any corner's. That mean's body off and blast everything. Also mean's not being able to drive her to Dad's on Christmas.
Here's the rundown on what we've decoded so far using the info on this fantastic site... Many thank's again to all those who devote so much time to these page's and fill them with so much information...

Style# 55-1011 55 Series B 210 2 dr sedan
Body# S4962 St. Louis Mo plant #4962
Trim# 508 Ivory vinyl and Black vinyl interior
Paint# 617 Upper body India Ivory- Main body Gypsy red

Now the confusing part, #508 for the interior keep's coming back as the DelRay and she does have the stainless trim that encircles the entire inside window frame. The ID tag on the A-pillar isn't with the car right now, Terry said he does have it though. So when I get my hand's on that tag, or clean off the cowl tag enough to see for sure if there's an "A" behind the 1011 designation, I'll know more for sure.
8-30 update: According to the info here she is a DelRay. The "A" after the 1011 designation was about completely covered by paint. But it is there. Far as I can tell the DelRay is the only one with this designation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts